Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did carbs/intake/valve adjust, now not charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did carbs/intake/valve adjust, now not charging?

Recently did carbs, intake repair, valve adjustment on the bike, and she runs pretty good! problem is, all of a sudden she's not charging the battery!
    I'm gonna go after this problem, and I'm sure I'll find it, just thinking someone might have a few ideas how the heck a valve adjustment might have caused a no charge situation that might save me the headache of a full diagnostic? some wire that commonly gets disconected by accident?
    haven't had time to look at this in daylight yet, will take a look tomorrow.
    Also, how do you change the bulb in the speedo? Haven;t found that one in the manual yet, probably I'm just missing it.

Hi,

Check the connectors between the stator and r/r unit. Check the ground connection on the r/r unit. Let's hope it's something simple. If not, the Stator Papers are your friend. You'll find supporting documentation on my little website. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Want to just get a feel for how the charging is working? Do a Quick_Test

Comment

Thanks for the responses, hopefully I can get at her some before work today. And find my voltmeter, which seems to have disapeared

Comment

Didn't get to look at it in daylight, but did the quick test, didn't believ the results, and did it again a bit later
          key off: 12.36 (both times)
          key on approx 10 sec: 11.75 the second time, (didn't do this the first time)
          idle: 14.6 first time, 14.35 the second, after running a few seconds
          2500 RPM (guessing, might be off +/- 5-800) 13.54 first time, 13.83 the second
          5000 (ish) RPM actualy may have been higher, I never ride at this RPM in town 13.35 first time, 13.9 the second
          Off (after running) 13.01 (2 min later) 12.65 (2 more min) 12.59 (2 more min) 12.45
          I'm gonna monitor voltage about every 1/2 hour for a while, see what happens.

Edit: After sitting all night, the voltage settled at 12.3, not ideal, but plenty to start the bike. Weird. Maybe a prob with the ignition switch not shutting off all current intermitently? Crap, I hate head scratchers.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Despite all attempts, I've not been able to recreate the problem, charges while running, holds charge while sitting.
            When I took the battery out to charge, the connections weren't all that tight, I think that may have been the problem.
            I've been riding it almost every day since the 5th with no issues whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
              Despite all attempts, I've not been able to recreate the problem, charges while running, holds charge while sitting.
              When I took the battery out to charge, the connections weren't all that tight, I think that may have been the problem.
              I've been riding it almost every day since the 5th with no issues whatsoever
              not good enough go over your harness, take a day or two off the bike, take the tank and everything off, repair the harness/solder and electric tpae/ heat shrink the connections. go over everything electrical. even if it has nothing to do with anything, go over it. If i had done this (listen to the folks here on the forums) i would not have had to push my bike so often, ride home in life threatening conditions, and gone through as much heart ache as i did. cheers and do not trade that bike away
              John 3:16

Comment

Gabriel you're probably right, although this bike had NO issues with starting before it sat for most of a year while I piddled with it now and again.
                Having been bikeless for most of a year, though, and faced with the need to trade for a truck or van, I'm sure you'll understand my reluctance to tear it down again.
                Maybe if I get REALY bored

Comment

Put stainless steel star washers on both sides of your connections, and they won't ever get loose.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Okay, apparently the real issue was a bad cell in the battery, probably caused by the bike sitting for a year or so, and the battery going flat (AGMs go bad the first time you let em go flat?)
                    Problem keapt recurring, at shorter intervals, untill it wouls start the bike ONCE on a 'full charge'
                    New battery, so far no issues.

Comment

Thank you for posting this about those batteries. I'll keep that in mind if I choose to get one for my bike.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm not sure if that's typical or not. I know I've had regular batteries that have lived through multiple total discharges, and THIS AGM battery died , gradualy, after ONE total discharge.
                        Strange

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Hi,

Check the connectors between the stator and r/r unit. Check the ground connection on the r/r unit. Let's hope it's something simple. If not, the Stator Papers are your friend. You'll find supporting documentation on my little website. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                          I guess this will bump the thread back up, and maybe should be a new one, but do you have a feeling for where is best to ground the R/R? I don't actually recall where the PO had it on my '83 650, and I'm dead afraid of doing something bad to the R/R as the only groundpoint close enough was back to the battery box at the same point as the battery's negative terminal ground.
                          Last edited by BigD_83; 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: added information
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

That's the best place to do it - straight to the battery.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              I guess this will bump the thread back up, and maybe should be a new one, but do you have a feeling for where is best to ground the R/R? I don't actually recall where the PO had it on my '83 650, and I'm dead afraid of doing something bad to the R/R as the only groundpoint close enough was back to the battery box at the same point as the battery's negative terminal ground.
                              see GS CHARGING_SYSTEM_HEALTH

Comment

Working...
                              X