Horn relay mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn relay mod

Anyone have a part # for a 4 terminal relay needed for this mod? My local Napa dealer has a catalog full of 3 pin relays. 1980 GS1100L.

Originally posted by 58yroldbikr View Post
    Anyone have a part # for a 4 terminal relay needed for this mod? My local Napa dealer has a catalog full of 3 pin relays. 1980 GS1100L.
    I just used a "ford relay" or "Bosch Relay" http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_relays
    you can buy them with the base/pigtail at Crappy Tire, Princess Auto, Lordco etc.. Often they're with the trailer parts.

Comment

I don't have a part number, but if you tell the parts pullers you want a driving light relay/fog light relay they should be able to hook you up with a 4-pole.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        I don't have a part number, but if you tell the parts pullers you want a driving light relay/fog light relay they should be able to hook you up with a 4-pole.
        Dan, You over estimate the intelligence of the average Canadian parts guy... It's a horror show.

Comment

Originally posted by 58yroldbikr View Post
          A 3-pin relay works quite well.

Only drawback is that in its basic simplicity, it will allow the horn to be sounded even with the key off.

It's easier to stick with a 4-pin, though, just go to any Auto Zone, Advance Auto, even Wal-Mart, get a relay for a set of fog lights, it costs a whopping $5.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The fog light relay on my previous Toyota van only had three terminals.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The fog light relay on my previous Toyota van only had three terminals.

Every cheap fog light/driving light or even cheap dual horn kit I've bought came with a 4-pin.

Comment

Every cheap fog light/driving light or even cheap dual horn kit I've bought came with a 4-pin.
                Therein lies the difference.

"Toyota" and "cheap" are not synonymous.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

It's easier to stick with a 4-pin, though, just go to any Auto Zone, Advance Auto, even Wal-Mart, get a relay for a set of fog lights, it costs a whopping $5.

What he says....

Autozone has 'em.
                  Radioshack has 'em too.

Radioshack is over-priced......just what you'd expect!

Comment

Horn

Only drawback is that in its basic simplicity, it will allow the horn to be sounded even with the key off.

That comes in handy when you're sitting in one spot trying to pick up chicks!

When I had my GS750, the horn sounded terrible...if you could hear it. Instead of having the button complete the ground, I switched the polarity around and wired the positive from the button directly to the battery. It just took a few minutes and was really loud!
                    Last edited by chuckycheese; 03-08-2011, 11:18 AM.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hi,

Let me Google that for you.

I've used the Tridon Stant EP34 electronic flasher but just about any 4 pin, 12 volt, 30 or 40 amp, Bosch type automotive relay will do.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1504857...=263602_304662

Parts-express.com also has good prices.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                        Instead of having the button complete the ground, I switched the polarity around and wired the positive from the button directly to the battery.
                        Just how did you accomplish that?

There is no "positive" at the button that can be re-routed. The wire comes from the horn to the button, then gets shorted to the handlebar, which is grounded.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

It's been a while!

Just how did you accomplish that?

There is no "positive" at the button that can be re-routed. The wire comes from the horn to the button, then gets shorted to the handlebar, which is grounded.

OK....I don't have the bike to look at (sold 'er) and it's been a number of years, so I looked in the archives and found my post from June 16, 2006: (If I described it incorrectly on that post, at least maybe you can figure out what I did do.)

Like many of you, my horn has never been much good for anything, which I've always found frustrating. I found a very easy way to fix it that I've never read about on the forum.

Disconnect the positive wire from the horn.

There are two negative wires coming from the horn switch. One of them goes directly to the horn (mine's green); leave it alone. Cut the other one (mine's black/white) right above the plug and wire it to a hot source using an inline 10 amp fuse. (I connected mine to the battery.)

Ground the terminal on the horn that used to have the positive wire attched to it.

The whole process only takes a few minutes and will cost about a dollar, or so. By doing this, you isolate the horn and make the horn button positive rather than negative (you can just as easily do it another way and leave it negative but I think the way I did it is a little bit better idea).

Ohhhhh, one more thing....push the horn button...You'll be AMAZED!!!\\/

Comment

Or...there's always that "other" kind of horn.

Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X