Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging System

So guys the riding season is right around the the corner and i am lookig at finally resolving my charging system woes. i was unable to do this on my own last year and am looking for a little bit of help. i ruind a batter last year and would like to not do that again as you know they arnt cheap. so if there is anyone out there willing to come to columbus area and help me with this for a compensation of beer an food that can help me with this would be much appreciated. i would normally do this myself but i believe my harnass has been tampered with by the previous owner and have no idea what its supposed to look like. so if anybody might be able to help me please let me know.

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
    So guys the riding season is right around the the corner and i am lookig at finally resolving my charging system woes. i was unable to do this on my own last year and am looking for a little bit of help. i ruind a batter last year and would like to not do that again as you know they arnt cheap. so if there is anyone out there willing to come to columbus area and help me with this for a compensation of beer an food that can help me with this would be much appreciated. i would normally do this myself but i believe my harnass has been tampered with by the previous owner and have no idea what its supposed to look like. so if anybody might be able to help me please let me know.
    Without me reading all your prior posts, could you summarize your "charging system woes" ? and also what leads you to believe your harness has been fiddled with? Cleaning up all connections is mandatory, if you want to have a reliable charging system. Run posplayr's tests to determine the status of your system.This is common problem on all our 30 year old bikes, but it's usually a simple fix.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My time might be a bit tight, but I will be home in a couple of weeks.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Today, 04:52 PM tom203 Without me reading all your prior posts, could you summarize your "charging system woes" ? and also what leads you to believe your harness has been fiddled with? Cleaning up all connections is mandatory, if you want to have a reliable charging system. Run posplayr's tests to determine the status of your system.This is common problem on all our 30 year old bikes, but it's usually a simple fix.
        I agree with Tom. As he said cleaning all connections and grounds in the entire harness and headlight bucket is mandatory, not optional IMHO. Start with the main ground on the motor, go through the fusebox area, work your way up the frame backbone to the headlight bucket. Do one wire at a time or use masking tape to label them and just follow the wires. Clean and re-connect as you go. After you have cleaned the wiring up then start testing the systems, if you have a known clean harness you can trust the results and buy parts only if necessary. If you get stuck take a picture and post it, lots of free advice around here.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

theres just something about it that dosnt seem right. you can tell its been tampred with from the sight of different colored wires spliced together with electrical tape. i will be installing a new set of center headers with h pipe this weekend so ill go through it then. Steve you have helped me in the past and i learnd a ton. Would love to have you stop by again if you get the chance. anyone else is welcome as well

Comment

Hi,

I would replace the splices and electrical tape with soldered connections and shrink tube. Clean all of the connections and replace any connectors that need it. Check the electrical section of my website for tips. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I would replace the splices and electrical tape with soldered connections and shrink tube. Clean all of the connections and replace any connectors that need it. Check the electrical section of my website for tips. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              i will most likely do that but i still have no clue if the wires are even going to the right place. Wiring is my weakness. i can look at wiring diagrams all day and be none the wiser. but i will for sure check your stuff out bass

Comment

Originally posted by shibby_cbs View Post
                theres just something about it that dosnt seem right. you can tell its been tampred with from the sight of different colored wires spliced together with electrical tape.
                When it comes to wiring take it one system at a time. For instance,on the gs 650, three wires come up from stator, join a plug just above battery (if it's still original) and head to R/R along with a red wire (R/R positive output); Beware- one stator wire might go into harness and then reappear joining the other two wires at plug; this useless loop might have been eliminated already.All this can be visually checked to prove that the wires are there! This is the charging system, though there's other work to be done to improve on it.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X