Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condutive Grease?

Hi All.
    Would it be advisable to use a good quality conductive grease on electrical connections . Specifically male and female terminals (spade lugs) and ground points. I'm just not sure if I should keep them dry or use the grease for corrosion protection and better conductivity? Any thoughts.

Thanks
    Geo

A good dielectric grease is a very good idea.

Comment

Use either automotive dielectric grease or Luberex (which is a specific brand of dielectric grease that comes from the PC world). I have used both and they are both fine, although Luberex can be more difficult to find.

Comment

Dielectric grease is a non-conductive grease. Because it is non-conductive it does not enhance the flow electrical current. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. However, dielectric grease is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly ones which contain rubber gaskets, as a way to provide a non-conductive lubricant and sealer for the rubber portions of the connector.The widest use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are in located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected.
        Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the non-conductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Luberex is a dielectric grease that is used to protect electrical components from condensation and corrosion. It is most commonly used in Peltier cooling to product the CPU pins from corrosion by condensation. This is done by spreading the grease on the socket pins prior to installation.

While I appreciate the Wikipedia quote (I saw it many places on the web), I don't use it to enhance electrical contact and/or improve current flow. I use it as a waterproofer and anti-corrosion agent. My contacts are good enough and the current flow low enough that it will not detract from the conductivity required on my bike. Just smearing it on the outside would not have maximum waterproofing or anti-corrosion effects. I do use it on my plug wires as suggested, smeared on the rubber bits.

Comment

I understand the uses of dielectric grease,however can or should conductive grease be use on push type connectors. Since this is a conductive grease I would think that it would enhance the connections. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              I understand the uses of dielectric grease,however can or should conductive grease be use on push type connectors. Since this is a conductive grease I would think that it would enhance the connections. Am I wrong?
              yes, you are wrong.

Comment

Yes,you are wrong. The grease is not conductive, it is often silicone based and doesn't react with plastics
                But by all means apply a little grease to your light bulbs and connectors the grease gets wiped away from the contact area by the bulb or connector while what remains keeps the water and air out , combating corrosion.
                Last edited by derwood; 03-09-2011, 12:33 AM.
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Conductive grease is for use on parts that move. Sliding switches. etc. The way you speak of using it will likely cause more harm than good.
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

found this silver type; there are also graphite versions.

Comment

Ohh Boy...I hope I am not starting something. The grease is labeled "conductive grease".It has conductive properties http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/846.html .Sorry I don't know how to post a hot link.

Comment

I take that back the link worked.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          found this silver type; there are also graphite versions.

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/vac/silv...-techdata.html
                          I never thought it's existence was in question? I have used it on big knife switches. The problem is it IS a conductor. Personally the idea of using a paste like conductor on a vibrating machine is not ideal. Maybe it will be great! Someone's gonna try it.

I have the mg846
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Bluewool...Sorry, I was typing while your post went up, I just didn't see it before I sent my post

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              Bluewool...Sorry, I was typing while your post went up, I just didn't see it before I sent my post
                              No apology needed. ? I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X