Condutive Grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geo View Post
    Thanks for everybody's input. I am still a little confused. I know and understand that it should not be liberty applied on connectors because of voltage leakage, especially high voltage. etc..However,if conductive grease is applied sparingly in a thin layer to a low voltage connector (butt,ground etc) would it not improve the conductivity and performance of the connector or connection.One would think since it is conductive it would. If not, why?
    Thanks for everybody's indulgence.
    Geo
    If you want to speak in hypotheticals yes, a very minute difference.
    You should run a bench test. Set up two static connections with the same load and use conductive grease on one and the other just clean very well. Be sure to use about 13vdc source and maybe a 5amp load(that's your high beam). Then measure the voltage drop across the connection. You know what you'll find?
    No difference.
    nothing. Because you likely do not have equipment accurate enough to measure the difference. We are talking microvolts at best.

It's not a spaceship it's a motorcycle.

There are much better things to waste time and money on than conductive grease.

Comment

Its not a spaceship..its a motorcycle..ROTFLMAO! WELL PUT Bluewool, WELL PUT! Next topic:: cotter pins or small nails!!! LMAO!!!
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-10-2011, 07:56 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Next topic:: cotter pins or small nails!!!
        Neither one.

Cut coat hangers.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Neither one.

Cut coat hangers.

I, uh... yeah, I'll admit to that one. But it was a long time ago, when I was young, and foolish, and ill-equipped...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What about paperclips?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for everybody's input. I am still a little confused. I know and understand that it should not be liberty applied on connectors because of voltage leakage, especially high voltage. etc..However,if conductive grease is applied sparingly in a thin layer to a low voltage connector (butt,ground etc) would it not improve the conductivity and performance of the connector or connection.One would think since it is conductive it would. If not, why?
              Thanks for everybody's indulgence.
              Geo
              Just again, do not confuse theory with practical application! They can be two completely different animals. We are talking only motorcycles here and mostly 30 year old GS's.

No OEM ever used conductive grease. If needed gold plated connectors would be a better idea.

If you use conductive grease in multipin connectors or switches you are sure to eventually have some bridging between pins and allowing leakage.

Anyone working on the bike down the line would never expect conductive grease and when disconnecting a connector may smear some around that could cause faults that may be very hard to locate.

An insulator with some conductive grease on the outside would not be a good insulator, especially if it is touching ground or another insulator with a bit on the outside.

Rather clean or replace any connectors that are suspect and only use dielectric grease if needed.

Comment

I think the biggest problem is that dialectic compounds are mistakenly termed as conductive grease, even by retailers advertising the product. I did find a carbon grease for switch gear knife blades, and a silvered thermal compound used to reduce contact pitting in contactors. Besides that I saw a lot of dielectric compounds advertised as conductive grease.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  I think the biggest problem is that dialectic compounds are mistakenly termed as conductive grease, even by retailers advertising the product. I did find a carbon grease for switch gear knife blades, and a silvered thermal compound used to reduce contact pitting in contactors. Besides that I saw a lot of dielectric compounds advertised as conductive grease.
                  Yea, that may be the case; however he had a specific product in mind "mg chemicals carbon grease", which IS a conductive grease, see post #11

Comment

Dielectric good conductive grease bad, and it doesn't matter how you apply the former.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their great advice and tips! As a newbie reading the electrical problems of these bikes sometimes you start thinking outside the box..That's why I posted my questions,I didn't want to do something stupid....Now,about those "emergency" cotter pins...........................

Comment

Now,about those "emergency" cotter pins...........................
                        twist ties.

Comment

Your wifes bobby pin..LOL
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their great advice and tips! As a newbie reading the electrical problems of these bikes sometimes you start thinking outside the box..That's why I posted my questions,I didn't want to do something stupid....Now,about those "emergency" cotter pins...........................
                            I have used all the reasonable ones listed, coat hangers, nails, etc. But no one has listed baling wire yet.
                            And Geo, if you own a GS you are already outside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              I have used all the reasonable ones listed, coat hangers, nails, etc. But no one has listed baling wire yet.
                              And Geo, if you own a GS you are already outside the box.
                              True...so how about this picture of me holding my rear master cylinder reservoir on with bailing twine:

(didn't want to take the time to upload it to my photobucket account)
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cowboy...That would be creative use of available resources ..:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X