Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone done the Ignition relay mod with a Honda R/R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone done the Ignition relay mod with a Honda R/R?

Has anyone implemented the ignition relay mod: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=166387
    with a Honda R/R? When I put the relay inline, the R/R will not charge. Leaving everything else alone, when I remove the relay from the circuit it charges. I have tried moving both the sense wire and the R/R output wire all around, and still no go. This is quite puzzling. The relay has a drawing of the internal cicuit, and there is no diode inside. The Bosch-style relay can go either way, with or without a diode. I also tried a different brand of relay with exactly the same results.

Yes, I have done what I think you are asking about, sort of.

I have a relay that powers a terminal strip to which most of the accessories are attached, including the sense wire for the R/R.

However, the R/R in question is not a standard Honda unit, it is one of the FET units. Seems to work well enough.

Toss a schematic in my e-mail, I'll look it over for you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have the Duaneage Honda R/R.
      And yes, my design powers lots o'stuff, including the sense wire and the fuse box. But even if I move the sense wire before the relay, it still will not work. If I had any hair I would be pulling it out right about now.

The design is in the document you are reviewing for me. Which you forgot to attach last night, BTW.

Comment

Nevermind. User error.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Nevermind. User error.
          When you say that, what exactly do you mean? Just so I don't make the same mistake this weekend when I plug my stuff back up.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You would have to ask. When I laid out the design (it uses 2 relays and 2 terminal strips, it is a hybrid design that I will post shortly) I used a makeshift breadboard. I got it all working perfectly, so I then moved everything over to the final resting place (on the side of my battery box). Apparently I switched 2 wires, so it no longer worked.
            The key here, I think, is to not work on the bike until midnight. You get tired and you make mistakes.

Comment

. Apparently I switched 2 wires, so it no longer worked.
              The key here, I think, is to not work on the bike until midnight. You get tired and you make mistakes.
              All is well if there was no smoke or flame. It takes a lot of practice to work on stuff that late, and is seldom worth the aggravation. It's sure hard to stop though. Probably 75% of my service calls were operator or installation error, so I wouldn't feel too bad. I look forward to seeing the schematic when you post it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                All is well if there was no smoke or flame. It takes a lot of practice to work on stuff that late, and is seldom worth the aggravation. It's sure hard to stop though. Probably 75% of my service calls were operator or installation error, so I wouldn't feel too bad. I look forward to seeing the schematic when you post it.
                Thanks. I can usually tell when it is time to stop; I usually catch myself starting to make mistakes. But it has been so long since I have ridden, and I have other projects to complete also. Plus it gave me the opportunity to run the wires again, I was not totally pleased with the first attempt. Alls well that ends well, I guess.

The design is a full-fledged writeup; pics, explanations, layout, parts list, tools list, etc. It is almost complete. Steve and I have been collaborating on it. All I can say now is to hold off on any relay mods you are thinking of doing until you read and absorb it.

Comment

You get tired and you make mistakes.
                  Why wait? I can make mistakes any time.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    Why wait? I can make mistakes any time.

Oddly enough, my boss tells me the same thing about me.

Comment

You would have to ask. When I laid out the design (it uses 2 relays and 2 terminal strips, it is a hybrid design that I will post shortly) I used a makeshift breadboard. I got it all working perfectly, so I then moved everything over to the final resting place (on the side of my battery box). Apparently I switched 2 wires, so it no longer worked.
                      It is well known that all work in the lab goes to $hit at 11:00 pm. It happily returns to normal about 5:00 am after most of the hair is gone.

Comment

Yeah, I should have stopped at beer thirty. I actually did that today, and I am much happier for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X