Gear position to LED's Anomaly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear position to LED's Anomaly

Hi everyone, here's something to think about if you ever try to switch your gear position indicator lights out for some LED's.

With the original 3.4w gear position lights there are 2 benefits and one drawback.
    1 they make enough heat to keep the indicator from fogging
    2 they draw enough current to to make a good enough connection on the position selector with the pin.
    But they do take power and LED's take so little in comparison.

So here is something i ran into when switching mine out for LED's

1 Great power savings, but sometimes the indicators fog up.
    2 some positions don't work some of the time until the engine is hot enough that there is no oil on the position sensor.
    That's the drawback. A good connection has to be made.

just some fyi

Thanks

Steve
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

What bulbs did you use? Would putting a load resister in get the positions to work when cold?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Mekanix,

Have a look at this: Convert Gauge Lights To LEDs

Now let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi BassCliff, thanks for the rewelcome. I see your site has allot more info now. That's awesome. I just wish it was around the first time I found the gs site, Remember the stator papers

You might remember me from last year. I had allot of FYI posts in electrical while I was rebuilding my gs.

Everything is switched over to LED's now and there are definitely some drawbacks to them.

Mainly fogging and not having enough current to get through dirty connections ( in switches and such)

I've noticed the gear position was the worst of all though.
        Besides that the gauges would fog up and sometimes even froze
        So they went back to stock bulbs.

Signal lights are all LED's and brake light is too. I got a simple led relay on Ebay that has power, output, and ground. So it was a very simple install.
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          Hi BassCliff, thanks for the rewelcome.
          Hi,

I saw your low post count and wanted to make sure you got the scoop. Welcome back.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah I slipped up and let my account expire
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki