aftermarket GS wiring harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aftermarket GS wiring harness?

I know its probably wishful thinking, but does anyone make a complete wiring harness for the GS bikes? I am currently ok, but I wonder how long my 30 year old GS 450 harness is going to keep on going? I also have a GR 650 project that has a pretty tired harness and thought about a total replacement since it is a total restoration.

I am willing to bet that there are no aftermarket wiring harnesses since there are hardly any aftermarket parts for the GS450. Not sure about the GR650 though.

If you can read a wiring diagram, cut, crimp, and solder wires, then you can easily make your own wiring harness with a few bucks.

I have made a wiring harness before but it was on a Toyota MR2. Those wiring harness's were quite big and complicated so it took about a month or so to make. But since the GS450 has like only 20 wires, this should be a breeze .

Comment

I think you are on the right track there, making your own. I've made wiring harnesses for boats and for older cars & trucks so maybe a Suzuki is in the future as well. I'm just lazy enough to look for one first...........

Comment

Originally posted by olddaddy View Post
        I think you are on the right track there, making your own. I've made wiring harnesses for boats and for older cars & trucks so maybe a Suzuki is in the future as well. I'm just lazy enough to look for one first...........

I've made new wiring harnesses for the last four GS's I've had. It isn't difficult. You will never find matching color coded replacement wire, so you will need to draw your own wiring diagram with the new colors noted.
        I usually put my diagram on multiple pages such as charging system on one page, lighting on another page, etc, I find it easier to follow things if I have to go back later and chase down a problem.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Build one, it really is as easy as these guys say. Make you a tool for dissassembling the connectors (removing pins from blocks), buy a good crimper, learn to solder, and buy real connector pins (I hate the ones with plastic crap on them)

Comment

I too am wanting to replace the harness on my GS...and honestly would find it a nice challenge to build my own. What kind / type of wiring exactly should I be on the lookout for?

In addition the "new" harness that I build will serve a new purpose. That is, to relocate the battery & fuses underneath a cafe seat. Is there a recommended way to do this?

Comment

Working...
            X