5 wire stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 wire stator?

I'm working on my next project. It' an 82 1100GL. Noticed the stator has 2 wires white with blue stripe, 2 yellow wires, and one green with white stripe. One yellow and the green/white are not connected. The green/white wire is not the oil light wire, it's green/yellow. They all come out of the stator cover and are wrapped together. My guess is it's an aftermarket stator. Anyone have any knoladge of this? It's charging OK, just wondering what I have here.

Thanks
    Buddy
    09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
    83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
    81 GS650G for the wife.
    82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
    I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
    If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
    Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

It is a factory stator for a separate regulator and rectifier. They doubled two of the wires about 6" down in the wiring bundle to split two each unit. You really have three wires, white/blue, yellow, and green/white. It is the same as the one on my older bike. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170507
    Last edited by OldVet66; 03-14-2011, 09:04 AM.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense, but, right now the green/white and one yellow are not connected and both the white/blues and one yellow are. I quess it looks like it's charging because all the lights are disconnected. That means I need to swap the green/white for one of the white/blue and check it again. Right?

Thanks
      Buddy
      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
      81 GS650G for the wife.
      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that. It seems that one phase is not connected. You need one of each color. If you cut back in the bundle you will see where they are joined, so you will just use one of each color code. The older bikes cut one leg off at the light switch when the light was turned off to avoid overcharging without the headlight load. They had a very cheap and minimal charging system, and would fry the stator if the light was off and all three phases were charging the system. By the time your bike was manufactured, I believe light was required to be on all the time in the US so the color code was a moot point. The Green/White was diverted through the light switch so it would only be connected when the light was on.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 03-14-2011, 02:57 PM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X