Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shindengen

dear sir
    recently purchased honda regulator rectifyier model shindengen sh232-12 to fit on my suzuki gs 750 db oweing to original reg/rec failure herd that hondas are much better ,not sure about the wireing tho ,the wires are three yelloe one red with white stripe one green and one brown but looks blackish ,any help on wireing on to gs would be very helpfull ,

regards trev

The three yellows connect to the stator leads in any order.

Red/white is +12V
    Green is ground

Black is the sense wire -- it needs to be hooked up to a SWITCHED +12V wire.

Search the forum for "Honda regulator" for lots more info.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Welcome, loneranger. Post up an intro in the GS owners thread, give us an idea of who y'are, where y'all are from, bike, etc. You'll get an outstanding welcome package (super sized) from our own resident, unoffical greeter, BassCliff.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. loneranger,

The easiest place to connect the sense wire is in the brake light feed at the brake light switch. But any switched 12v source will do. ("Switched" meaning that it gets power when the ignition is turned on, not directly connected to the battery.)

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Trev,

You addressed "Dear Sir" and bwringer was the first to respond.

And what he said was correct (as always).

THat sense line does need to go to a switched power line. The R/R will work with the sense line connected to battery positive (R/R output) but will also cause a small drain on the battery when it is parked. SO that is why it needs to be connected to some place that is disconnected when the bike is parked. That orange wire to the brake switch is convient for its location.

Welcome to GSR.
          Oh, wait, we are not suppose to give advice untill you post a picture of your bike.

You say you have a failed R/R.
          Do you know if the stator survived? How have you checked that?
          Sometimes a failed R/R will also fry the stator.

Last edited by Redman; 03-18-2011, 07:57 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The three yellows connect to the stator leads in any order.

Red/white is +12V
            Green is ground

Black is the sense wire -- it needs to be hooked up to a SWITCHED +12V wire.

Search the forum for "Honda regulator" for lots more info.
            I ran the sense wire on 6 G models temporarily to the battery, a couple years ago. That was after one cooked the battery due to voltage drop in the ignition switch while on a trip. I have not experienced any problems with the battery loosing its charge when parked more than usual, so I probably will always hook them up to an unswitched lead. Of course it doesn't fix the ignition switch, which is the actual problem.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              any switched 12v source will do. ("Switched" meaning that it gets power when the ignition is turned on, not directly connected to the battery.)
              Make sure that 12v source has the same voltage as your battery. If there is some resistance in the wire or connector between that source and the battery you will have a slight voltage drop. The RR will sense that voltage drop and compensate by over charging your battery.

Welcome !!
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

thanks very much guys for your quick replys ,will update you when i have fitted this to my bike and also upload some pictures to of my gs ,regards loneranger

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Make sure that 12v source has the same voltage as your battery. If there is some resistance in the wire or connector between that source and the battery you will have a slight voltage drop. The RR will sense that voltage drop and compensate by over charging your battery.

Welcome !!
                  But try to find that source- maybe the Shindengen folks figured there would be some drop in sense wire and designed for it. 850 combat claims the current draw by wiring direct is not a problem. The brake light wiring is a long way from battery.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    The brake light wiring is a long way from battery.
                    Depends on the GS. Most are within 16 inches. The wires can always be extended.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                      Depends on the GS. Most are within 16 inches. The wires can always be extended.
                      Looks to me that brake light positive has to travel thru signal fuse, back to ignition,then back to main fuse and on to battery.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X