1982 gs1100glz starting issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs1100glz starting issue.

ok... i have power when i turn key to first position.. blinkers work, head light works.. high beams work...brake light... ect.. horn doesn't that is a separate issue. when i turn key to second position... (start) I lose all power. I have traced wires all day and am losing my mind.. and vision is blurry... ( white green tracer... green white tracer.. white red tracer.. ahhhhhhh) I have check rec.reg. and found incoming red wire has 12.4 volts going in... nothing coming out on other three. which run to gen. now I have some bad wiring as posted in "so i'm getting a new bike tonight" under general discussion. I am getting a new wiring harness to rectify that. can any one tell me what i should have on other three lines coming from rec./reg. if any thing at full on. I think rec/reg. is bad but want to make sure at $200+ for a new one.

Thanks,
    George

Wait a minute; turn key to "on" ( first position ), everything powers up. The second position ( clockwise passed the "on" ) justs turns on rear taillight, unless your bike has unique ignition switch.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

well when i turn key to first position it has power for most things including lights nothing to starter switch, horn ect. then the second position according to wiring diagram should be all on power. first position is like accessory , i figured. Why would you have to go past ON just to turn on lights, when they come on in first position? either way when i hit second position i lose all power.. no lights no nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddygb View Post
        ok... i have power when i turn key to first position.. blinkers work, head light works.. high beams work...brake light... ect.. horn doesn't that is a separate issue. when i turn key to second position... (start) I lose all power. I have traced wires all day and am losing my mind.. and vision is blurry... ( white green tracer... green white tracer.. white red tracer.. ahhhhhhh) I have check rec.reg. and found incoming red wire has 12.4 volts going in... nothing coming out on other three. which run to gen. now I have some bad wiring as posted in "so i'm getting a new bike tonight" under general discussion. I am getting a new wiring harness to rectify that. can any one tell me what i should have on other three lines coming from rec./reg. if any thing at full on. I think rec/reg. is bad but want to make sure at $200+ for a new one.

Thanks,
        George
        It sounds like one you are trying to start it like a car , it don't work that way, turn key to first position, pull clutch in and press little button under kill switch on right handle bar, second position is for parking light only. First bike? Also you really need to read your Mega welcome there is more information in there than you know
        Last edited by hjfisk; 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

first street bike.
          ok.. i tried that and still nothing starting.. I have been trying all day...

Comment

and yes battery is fully charged.

Comment

first street bike.
              ok.. i tried that and still nothing starting.. I have been trying all day...
              Is this the same bike that was purchased with the starter problem?
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

have you tried jumping out the solenoid for the starter and make sure that it works.
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

well when i turn key to first position it has power for most things including lights nothing to starter switch, horn ect. then the second position according to wiring diagram should be all on power. first position is like accessory , i figured. Why would you have to go past ON just to turn on lights, when they come on in first position? either way when i hit second position i lose all power.. no lights no nothing.
                  Your ignition switch is behaving as designed- it's not a car. I strongly suggest you find someone (a biker) to explain what you have to do to get a bike started. You have to be familiar with much more complicated stuff before you venture out on the road. Think safety course.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    Is this the same bike that was purchased with the starter problem?

Yes starter is fixed and works fine. reinstalled but i got nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Your ignition switch is behaving as designed- it's not a car. I strongly suggest you find someone (a biker) to explain what you have to do to get a bike started. You have to be familiar with much more complicated stuff before you venture out on the road. Think safety course.
                      not trying to sound like a smart ...... but i figured out that after you said you only need to turn to first position I'd do just that. I did lights came on.. kick stand is up... it is in neutral... clutch was in and i put switch to run and PUSHED the button... it's not rocket science... i have no power to starter. either it's not making it to the switch or the switch is bad or something else.

Comment

not trying to sound like a smart ...... but i figured out that after you said you only need to turn to first position I'd do just that. I did lights came on.. kick stand is up... it is in neutral... clutch was in and i put switch to run and PUSHED the button... it's not rocket science... i have no power to starter. either it's not making it to the switch or the switch is bad or something else.
                        Ok , so now to test the starter to see if it will turn a load [the motor, some times they will bench test but not turn a motor over] for the sake of argument cross the 2 large terminals on the starter solenoid and see if it will turn the engine over. use a screwdriver or something
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

jumped it and motor turns over. i will lok more tomorrow if the wind dies down some.

Comment

jumped it and motor turns over. i will lok more tomorrow if the wind dies down some.
                            OK we have established that , now you need to go to Basscliffs site and look up the wiring harness for your bike and trace and test the circuit's. The clutch switch could be the culprit, and if you trace the wires into the head light you can just unplug the 2 switch wire and plug the wire that they plug into together and try it, not sure but I think that whole circuit 's wiring colors are yellow / green strip wire and it switches to orange and red at the kill switch. Also you can test you starter solenoid by unplugging the y/g wire and run a jumper wire from the positive batt to the y/g on the solenoid, caution don't make a solid connection because you will know immediately if it is good or not
                            Last edited by hjfisk; 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM.
                            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Make sure you pull the clutch lever back, it's a safety switch that opens the ground circuit to the starter relay if the clutch lever isn't pulled back, turn your ignition switch to the first position, where you got all your lights, etc. Make sure your switch above the starter button is set to run and hit the starter switch, engine should turn over. Try that and see if your engine turns over.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X