GS 450 charging problem... HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450 charging problem... HELP!!!!

hi, i have a 81 GS450E, that wont charge the battery, i have put a new stator in it, bought a Honda R/R from duaneage, pulled the wiring harness and inspected each individual wire for shorts, and the bikes still not charging... Does anyone know how much the stator should be putting out if you take a meter to the leads, im getting about 18 volts at idle, but while the bike is running i put my meter on the battery and it only registers 11.95 volts, does anyone have any ideas, i keep looking through the forum on how to wire the rectifier ect, and through wiring diagrams, i have a white wire with a green tracer and a white wire with a red tracer that one supposed to go the the rectifier and the other to the stator, but i keep seeing that all three stator wires go straight to the rectifier.. CAN ANYONE HELP??????

Originally posted by Radeon View Post
    hi, i have a 81 GS450E, that wont charge the battery, i have put a new stator in it, bought a Honda R/R from duaneage, pulled the wiring harness and inspected each individual wire for shorts, and the bikes still not charging... Does anyone know how much the stator should be putting out if you take a meter to the leads, im getting about 18 volts at idle, but while the bike is running i put my meter on the battery and it only registers 11.95 volts, does anyone have any ideas, i keep looking through the forum on how to wire the rectifier ect, and through wiring diagrams, i have a white wire with a green tracer and a white wire with a red tracer that one supposed to go the the rectifier and the other to the stator, but i keep seeing that all three stator wires go straight to the rectifier.. CAN ANYONE HELP??????
    You should have stumbled across lots of info on this problem. The three wires from stator need to go direct to the R/R. Sounds like you are still trying to use the headlight on/off to limit stator output. Lose it, unless you plan to run with your headlight off. Probably the green/white wire is the one being sent to headlight switch- just wire it direct to R/R and forget about the red/white wire. Follow duaneage's wiring diagram regarding red wire, green wire (the ground wire) and the sense wire ( probably black). Be sure to visit the stator paper pages to test it.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Radeon View Post
      ...... Does anyone know how much the stator should be putting out if you take a meter to the leads, im getting about 18 volts at idle, but while the bike is running i put my meter on the battery and it only registers 11.95 ....
      Good that you have a meter, and good that you are thinking of checking the voltage output from the stator. But you should do that with the stator disconnected. And meter should be on AC Voltage setting. And should measure upper 60s to 70 volts AC between any two of the three stator wires.

For more details, and for many more checks, see the Stator Papers.
      Tell us more what you find.

About the seemily extra wire:
      I dont know for sure about the two cyclinder bikes, but the 4 cyclinder bikes had one stator wire going up to the headlight on-off switch and then another wire back to the R/R on pre 1980 models, then 1980 and after did not have the headlight on-off swtich but still had the wire going up to the headlight shell and jumpered together there. And what most folks have done is to abondond that and just have the three wires from stator go directly to the R/R, and leave the other two dangling loose (from the wiring harnes). I think these are the loose wires you are seeing.

<<<later note: Just checked a schematioc.
      Yes, That would be red/wht wire and a grn/wht wire.
      Last edited by Redman; 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM. Reason: add later note.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

First off, check the stator with the wires disconnected AND IT IS AC voltage
        60VAC minimum. There is a great pictorial on BassCliff's site for checking the charging system. It is the same regardless of bike size

Comment

Radeon,

Where are you located?
          (maybe put that in your user profile, will then show up on every post.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X