Bike is dead. . .dead I tell you. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is dead. . .dead I tell you. . .

New battery put in today after bike died on me a few months back. ASSumed it was just in need of a new battery, when it broke down on me had no power going to anything. Turns out that's still the problem. Put in a new battery and. . .nothing. No power to bike whatsoever. Any idea where to start first? **addenum** So far I've tried the kick start and nothing, also checked the main fuse and nothing there either. . .

1977 GS 750B
    Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM.

Faulty wire coming off the battery or a blown fuse? Or maybe even a faulty ignition switch?

Comment

Look for a main in line fuse holder around the battery and check the ign switch. The 77GS 750 As I recall doesn't have the typical fuse block.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
        Faulty wire coming off the battery or a blown fuse? Or maybe even a faulty ignition switch?
        Ditto. I can't count how many cars I've helped people start by simply tightening the battery posts.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Also take the headlight out of the bucket and . Check to see if all the wires are connected and the terminals are clean. clean all the connectors one by one and out a dab of dielectric grease on them. All the igniton and handle bars switches are plugged in from inside the headlight bucket. Turn on the key and see if wiggling makes any of the dash lights flicker..also trace the ignition wires down to where it plugs into the wiring harness and check all the connections there as well.
          Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Could be the ignition switch. I had my buddy Tom ()who's a regular on here) help me solder the connection last fall. I tried moving the wires behing it to see if that helped, but didn't seem to make a difference. Main fuse looks fine. All posts clean and tight. . .This wouldn't be a coil issue would it?

Comment

Ok then, just on a whim went and jiggled the wire that we soldered and guess what? Started right up. Looks like I need a new ignition switch for the bike as I remember this one being a bit difficult to solder with the existing wire. Thanks sooooo much y'all. Ebay here I come (unless anyone has a lead on one to sell). -C

Comment

Originally posted by miles28 View Post
                New battery put in today after bike died on me a few months back. ASSumed it was just in need of a new battery, when it broke down on me had no power going to anything. Turns out that's still the problem. Put in a new battery and. . .nothing. No power to bike whatsoever. Any idea where to start first? **addenum** So far I've tried the kick start and nothing, also checked the main fuse and nothing there either. . .

1977 GS 750B
                What electrical test equipment do you have?
                A test light probe?
                A volt meter?
                A spare turn signal light that you can make into a tester?
                Nothing?

(knowing this will help us decide what to suggest to you).

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

PM The Cafe Kid..he has boxes of early 750 stuff..and put an add in the wanted parts section.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You guys are AWESOME! Once again, the forum has saved my booty

Comment

Did Josh have one..that what you mean??

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Did Josh have one..that what you mean??
                        Haven't tried him yet. Just showing appreciation for my bretheren

Comment

Can you and your buds resolder it as a temp fix? would you think it reliable at that point so you can at least ride it?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                            Can you and your buds resolder it as a temp fix? would you think it reliable at that point so you can at least ride it?
                            If I remember correctly, the red wire inside connected 2 solder points. The problem was from turning the bike and it was crimping the wire enough to break the connections. I re-routed the harness so it wouldn't be affected, but I guess it was. I remember Tom remarking that it would probably be better just to replace the part at some point in the future. I did just take it for a spin around the block. Damn, it felt great. Can't wait for summer

Comment

putmup the add in parts wanted as soon as you can..bet youll have areplacement relatively soon.. Good luck and we are always glad to help sucessfully or not..LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X