'77 550 points/condensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 550 points/condensor

I purchased this bike near the end of last season, rode it for almost 2 months before storing it for the winter. It was running reasonably well (as far as my limited motorcycle knowledge extends,) save for a high idle and clutch pushrod seal leak. I disassembled most of it, including a carb dip and replacing electrical connectors, replaced the seal, oil change, and attempted to turn it over.

It starts, but will not turn over. It turned over and for about 3 seconds on one occasion, but nothing since then. I have 12v at coils (P/O had done coil relay mod) and spark from all 4 plugs. I have tried putting gasoline directly in the cylinder, as well as starter spray in the airbox, to no avail. This lead me to believe that my ignition timing needed adjusting. I discovered, after removing the cover, that my breaker circuit has no condensors! How can this be? As stated, the bike ran previously, but I can now see obvious arcing across the points. There was a small amount of charring on one side of one set of points, which has since been cleaned.

I bought the bike from a salvage yard, and after one day of riding and having to restart the bike every time I stopped, I returned to the yard, and they replaced the ATU, as the springs had become exhausted. It was a 15 minute swap, which might explain why the mechanic didn't notice the lack of condensors.

It seems obvious to me now that I need condensors. I am working on a limited budget, which precludes me from upgrading the ignition system now (although it will eventually happen.)

My question is this: How did my bike manage to work "properly" given the absence of something as important as condensors? I have tried searching the forums for a similar situation, but found nothing. Hopefully this will resolve my problem, because getting to this point has practically exhausted my limited troubleshooting abilities. I love my bike, not frustration.

Remarkable. Coil relay mod but no condensors... unlikely the PO removed em them. Must have been the salvage yard i suppose.

Those points sounds like they have copped a hammering.

Get yourself this:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

If you thought it ran alright before, wait til you sort this out!

Static timing with a torch globe & a bit of wire will get you close enough too if you don't have a timing light.
    1979 GS750E

Comment

Not having the condensers will shorten the points life drastically . Not normal but You might check and see if by chance they are mounted up by the coils.
      If you need points ? make sure which system you have, two different one's used for the 550

Comment

I have broken the bike down to engine in frame; the condensers are nowhere to be found!

I am aware of the two different systems used on the 550. Having looked at parts fiches (G&S Suzuki), the only difference I can see, save for the price of the parts themselves, is the orientation of the condensers. The distinction made between the two on the site is between 550 and 550B. As far as I know, the B is the year code, not a model designation. What, if any, differences are there between the two? I may purchase the parts from the Suzuki dealer in town, but given their limited knowledge of vintage bikes, it serves me best to have the most information possible.

Comment

Disregard the last post, Z1 enterprises site has photos of the parts themselves, and I believe Coady made the right choice for me based on the photo I attached. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X