resistor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resistor question

The plan is to replace coils,wires,caps and plugs and eventually swap points for dyna ignition.

My question is if i get the green coils,wires,caps and plugs now.

Do I have to install a resistor?
    if so where can I get that resistor and which one do I get?
    Do I just splice it into the orange and white wire?

Do I have to use copper core wires or can I use the supression wires ?
    I don't want to change the wires again if I don't have to.

thanks

with a 3 ohm coil you don't need any ballast resistor.

Comment

I didnt explain myself fully.
      I want to keep the points for a while I cant afford the dyna ignition just yet.
      But I do need plugs caps wires and coils

Caps are cracking
      Wires are dry and cracking
      Coils are probably original

So if I replace those things now all I have to do is install the Dyna ignition and remove the resistors if need be.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2011, 11:26 PM. Reason: need to add some info

Comment

Chris,

Don't worry about it mate... you'll be fine with points & the 3ohms for a period of time. The resistor just protects the points, they barely arc anyway with the 5ohm (last for ages) so I reckon you'll be fine if it's just a season.

You'll be fine with Dyna's wires too although the soft caps do make it a little more difficult to get them on & off.

Why do you need new coils? You should be able to replace the leads in the ones you have, you basically prise them out & just shove the new ones in the hole (there is a central spike in the hole) & then seal with silicon.

It's about a 50% chance that you'll succeed in getting the old ones out... (I have a spare 3ohm coil from my 50% that worked) that you can make use of if you have the same 50% luck as me.... These OEM GS Coils rarely go bad.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

the resistor is only to keep the point contacts / capacitor from burning so quickly if the ignition is left on and the engine is not running.

your new parts will be fine!! It is the capacitor and contact points that will pit/burn and cause a running misfire from a full 12 volts after leaving the ignition on for more than 2 or 3 minutes.
          Last edited by trippivot; 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Just so I'm clear on this

suppression wires-O.K.
            Dyna green coils-O.K.
            NGK caps-O.K.
            B8ES plugs-O.K.

I can do these upgrades now and Install the Dyna ignition over the winter for next season

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by kng254 View Post
              Just so I'm clear on this

suppression wires-O.K.
              Dyna green coils-O.K.
              NGK caps-O.K.
              B8ES plugs-O.K.

I can do these upgrades now and Install the Dyna ignition over the winter for next season

Thanks everyone
              Do either the suppression wires or the NGK caps, not both. Both have built-in suppression, so you should choose one or the other. I would choose good quality copper wires and the NGK caps.

Comment

dyna wires do not use resistor plugs or caps.

use only dyna wires with dyna ignitions - no matter what any commercial says.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

So for now I can use automotive wires with the green coils?
                  I have a set of accel wires on the shelf

Comment

Yes use the accel wires and use the auto ends. If you are concerned about the ohm's Get a ign resistor from a 70's mopar (4 prong) one side is very close to 2 ohms.. Run 12v (both 12v coil wires) to one side and attach two wires to the other end - one for each coil.you can mount it to the top of the breather cover with a longer bolt Works great with points.

Comment

Working...
                    X