Starter Rebuild Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Rebuild Questions

So, after sitting for several years in a backyard before it got to me the starter on my bike seems to have gotten wet. After I got the new battery in it, everything hooked up properly and it did turn over... once. Then I went through checking grounds and the battery and the solenoid and finally pulled the starter, this is what I got. Wee bit o' moisture. Just a guess...

So I'm wondering if the rebuild kits, like on ebay, are okay to use because normally other rebuild kits don't seem to be very good quality (carbs, petcock). The other question is, when I do get either new brushes or the whole kit, how do I change out this brush?

Thanks for looking!

I just rebuilt 3 starters over the winter, and all three came with everything I needed. New brush plate, brushes, o rings, etc. Well worth the money so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
      I just rebuilt 3 starters over the winter, and all three came with everything I needed. New brush plate, brushes, o rings, etc. Well worth the money so far.
      I don't think this is a good candidate for rebuild- if any rust chunks fall off down the road it could interfere with commutation or cause bearing problems. I'd look on ebay- lots of starters can be had for under $30.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks guys. My only worry about buying a used starter is ending up in the same boat with unknown problems. If I rebuild it, at least I can sorta control whether or not it's jacked up.

Comment

Even if the one you buy needs a rebuild, you will be starting with a better core. That one is shot, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
          X