Dead battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead battery

Hello, How are we all today? Doing great here. I have just replaced my battery on my 82 gs 750. It was a weak llater its dead again. No water inside. I filled it and charged. Tested output of charging system with bike running at 5,000 rpm's and high beams on. I got 12.4 volts. So is this just a regulator/rectifier problem or do i need to keep testing. I read somewhere about the stator papers? Somewhere on this site maybe? Any info would help. thanks. Oh I live in AZ by the border and love riding.

Here ya go, I'm sure BassCliff will be by later to say hello

I would run the WHOLE test. Best of luck!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. babo,

Where do we start? I know. Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
        Hello, How are we all today? Doing great here. I have just replaced my battery on my 82 gs 750. It was a weak llater its dead again. No water inside. I filled it and charged. Tested output of charging system with bike running at 5,000 rpm's and high beams on. I got 12.4 volts. So is this just a regulator/rectifier problem or do i need to keep testing. I read somewhere about the stator papers? Somewhere on this site maybe? Any info would help. thanks. Oh I live in AZ by the border and love riding.
        Yes, review the stator tests. It would have been best to do this right after you installed the new battery. Your battery might now be damaged and give misleading results. Sounds like it was overcharging- how many hours did you run it after this new battery?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tested stator

So I retested, Im getting 12.4 volts at bat @ 5,000 rpm. I did stator no load output test. I got 50volt, 50 volts, 2.45 volts.
          I switched ground from rr to bat neg, instead of frame. cleaned terminals and stator and rr connections.
          Stator is not shorted to ground and passes continuity tests.
          So should I just replace the stator and retest before replacing the rr?
          Should I just replace as a pair and should I only use the aftermarket ones that r better as advertised on Bass cliff web site.
          Have I missed anything?
          I know I havent cleaned all the connections yet but i will soon.

Comment

So I retested, Im getting 12.4 volts at bat @ 5,000 rpm. I did stator no load output test. I got 50volt, 50 volts, 2.45 volts.
            I switched ground from rr to bat neg, instead of frame. cleaned terminals and stator and rr connections.
            Stator is not shorted to ground and passes continuity tests.
            The stator no load output test says your stator is no good- the continuity tests are done at low multimeter voltage so they are less valuable.The spinning rotor magnets put lots of stress on stator windings- your's indicates that it's shorting out at speed. Of course, this fails to explain why your battery boiled dry. I'd get a replacement stator. But now might also be the time to consider a replacement R/R - member duaneage sells honda style units or you could opt for the compufire unit.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I offer Honda RR kits for 45 dollars delivered, you might need a stator as well but I can help with an affordable RR at least.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hi,

Yes, these numbers concern me too. What are the resistance readings between the legs? When I've had AC voltage numbers like that in the past, my stator looked like this:

See all that melted epoxy and wire insulation? Not good. That means the stator windings are shorting out and the output is dramatically reduced. Most of the time this is caused by excess resistance in the system which produces heat. Clean ALL of your connections in the entire wiring harness.

I agree with Mr. tom203. I think you need a new stator. And Mr. duaneage has the best deal in town for an r/r unit. If you replace both, clean all of your connections (including the fusebox), run the r/r ground to the negative battery terminal, then you'll be cooking with electrons.

And just so you know, I don't "advertise" on my website. I just let folks know what I'm using. Right now my favorite stator is the Rick's Electrics stator. It doesn't use cheap plastic tubing and includes the rubber grommet for the stator cover.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

When my stator died last summer, it failed the continuity test ( shorted to ground), but I must have caught it quick because it didn't get barbecued like Basscliff's. The stator cover was noticebly warmer to the touch and voltage at battery was less than 12 volts.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                  X