'82 GS850G Starting issue with battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS850G Starting issue with battery

I know its not good to start your bike with a running car but what could the problem be if I try to start my bike with the a good fully charged battery and it cranks pretty good but doesn't start. When I hook it up to a non-running car battery it still cranks the same. But when I turn the car on, the bike cranks faster and it fires up on the first or second try every time. I don't wanna mess my bike up by using the car, what could be the issue?

What does the multimeter tell you for battery voltage output? It sounds like you have a toasted battery. Plus, trying to use a running car will potentially smoke your entire electrical system on the bike. Please save yourself the headache and don't do that again.

Get your battery tested and if needed buy a new one.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

What maintenance steps have you taken? Did you see the suggestions and lists in your "mega-welcome"? It all has to be done. Shortcuts lead to frustration.

Are the carbs properly cleaned? Are the valves adjusted? What is the voltage at the coils? Have you checked the charging system and cleaned ALL of the electrical connections on the entire wiring harness?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by damoj19 View Post
        I know its not good to start your bike with a running car but what could the problem be if I try to start my bike with the a good fully charged battery and it cranks pretty good but doesn't start. When I hook it up to a non-running car battery it still cranks the same. But when I turn the car on, the bike cranks faster and it fires up on the first or second try every time. I don't wanna mess my bike up by using the car, what could be the issue?
        To me it sounds like you may have a bad connection somewhere, dirty, corroded or loose. Your battery voltage is probably quite low at the coils while the starter is turning and thus a weak spark. When starting the car the voltage goes higher and you get a spark or better spark.
        Do not rule out the possibility that your starter could be drawing excessive current as well.

Comment

Working...
        X