Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Elimination Revisited

Do you guys think this will work...

Obviously its only for the older kick-start models, but its cheaper, lighter and smaller then a battery and I never really understood the huge advantage of being able to push a button instead of kicking a lever.

That site also looks like it may have some R/R's that would work for our bikes.

How is no one interested in this?!

None of the cafe racer builds out there want to give this a shot?

Comment

There's a user here, beergood, has done this, check for his posts and you'll find good info. He builds some wicked awesome cafes.

Comment

A battery represents infinite capacitance. I'm trying to see the advantage of this but I guess it's a solid state alternative to a cell battery. You could use a 1 farad capacitor (popular with the car audio crowd) and come up with something that might actually crank the bike a few times.

Adding a large capacitor to the bike should not be necessary if your connectors, fuse slots and primary switches are clean and in good condition.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
          A battery represents infinite capacitance. I'm trying to see the advantage of this but I guess it's a solid state alternative to a cell battery. You could use a 1 farad capacitor (popular with the car audio crowd) and come up with something that might actually crank the bike a few times.

Adding a large capacitor to the bike should not be necessary if your connectors, fuse slots and primary switches are clean and in good condition.
          The advantages are primarily space for most people. I am interested in it because it represents one less maintenance item on the bike. The battery will die every few years, the capacitor, allegedly, will not. These advantages aren't really a big deal, but what exactly is the huge advantage to having a battery?

Comment

Basically it provides a reliable source of power for the bike if the stator or RR fails. It also filters the very rough output of the RR, if you run without a battery or a capacitor you may damage the igniter.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X