Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Ignition Replacement

Good day,

Is there an electronic ignition drop in replacement for the old twin points set-up on a 79 GS1000E. Time for an upgrade.

Cheers

Dan

Yes, there are aftermarket kits for these bikes, you might also be able to retrofit the newer electronic systems from another GS to yours at less cost.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Dyna S seems to be the easiest & most available over here in the US.... others might be more common elsewhere.

www.z1enterprises.com is a good source that ship internationally
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I second that on the Dyna S, It's simple very effective and matched with the Dyna green coils all you would ever need unless you were racing the bike, and then it wouldn't be a bad choice. Watch the way the coils and wires are listed on Z1. It seemed they were listed singly, so I ended up with two sets. Not a problem since I have another bike to build.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 04-05-2011, 06:38 PM.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I run mine with the stock 78 coils. They are 5ohm not 3 ohm but it doesn't cause any issues. I have a set of Accel's on the shelf in case one ever goes out but that's rare
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks guys, I've used the Dyna, as well as Crane, on Harleys before and like them. There are a couple of places around here that sell them so it's just price shopping now.

Cheers
            Dan

Comment

Go to z1enterprises.com and get the Dyna S... so easy to set up, and you'll never have to deal with faulty points again! Makes it great for future upgrades! (Coils and wires) Took me about 30 mins to get it timed up perfectly. The kit i had came with an aluminum spacer that my 78 GS1000 C didn't need.

Comment

Working...
              X