Cheap SERIES(????) R/R : VRRPM3 from OMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    I would think any time except for the first few minutes after a start, it would have to result in cooler oil. I bet it does almost as much good for the oil temp as those lame oil coolers, without any chance of springing a leak... (Bending over for ensuing flames) Anyway I will buy a few of these as soon as anyone who knows about these things says for sure it is a true series regulator.
    the after market stators (electrosport) are all powdercoated and they burn. That must take 500degf andf 250 oil to cool it. And I know my 1100 ran coler than it ever had

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
      Antidotal? Cute

Measured results under a certain set of conditions. Not necessarily unique or even uncommon conditions, but for sure not a guaranteed, continuous set of conditions.

(Don't worry, I'm not interested in joining the "battle" you have going about stator paper, just pointing out realistic expectations)

As tkent pointed out, it seems likely it may run cooler after the first few minutes. I'm assuming that's to account for topping off a good battery after cranking the starter. That's what I would think about, too.

But in reality, there are so many often changing factors, it would be hard to say "always" one way or the other. Battery charge, battery health, electrical connections conditions (also how they may change with load/heat), accessories loads, headlamp usage (high beam?), turn signals, brake lights, sitting in traffic, ambient temp, etc.

The Series r/r makes sense and can have a number of benefits, but it won't *always* make your bike run cooler *all* the time.

If there is excess power produced, it's more likely. But we don't want everyone to think a series r/r will result in an automatic 30 degree cooler bike, nor that kind of result will be constant. It may, it may not.

Don't think something is wrong because it doesn't and have realistic expectations.

BTW, I read the back and forth analysis on the charging system with great interest. I don't think I've missed any recently.

I could do without all the belittling in the threads, but you fellas are passionate about your "studies" and I'm used to filtering out the junk. So keep the info coming.

I'm waiting for the pulsed feedback loop that will return excess power back to the stator in a sequence that will return *torque* back to the shaft as a pseudo electric motor.

Or maybe a stator with each winding split in half that can be combined or separated depending upon charging need/signal from the r/r

- JC
      Anecdotal; OK got the right word; And I got your meaning the first time regardless.

Measured results under a certain set of conditions. Not necessarily unique or even uncommon conditions, but for sure not a guaranteed, continuous set of conditions.
      lets try this definition, I think it fits even better with what you are trying to say

1) Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence. For example "my grandfather smoked like a chimney and died healthy in a car crash at the age of 99" does not disprove the proposition that "smoking markedly increases the probability of cancer and heart disease at a relatively early age". In this case, the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion.
      The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence
      OK I'll keep it simple, and on topic

BIG BIKES get HOT ; little bikes not so much.

My BIG BIKE and Wheatdog's BIG BIKE run substantially and noticable cooler with a SERIES R/R that they ever did with a SHUNT r/r.

Conclusion BIG BIKES run cooler with SERIES R/R's. Small bikes not so much; Dead batteries even much less.

There is no lack of scientific evidence unless you choose to ignore it.
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
        Chill out, Dude. You're going to give yourself a stroke and the rest of us an ulcer

- JC

Thanks for the reco doc

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I saw a substantial drop in both oil operating temperature and temperature as felt with the hand after switching to a SERIES R/R on my 1100ED. At least one other member that I can recall saw similar.
          Woof!

I love my 1100, and Suzukis in general, but this is an amazingly bad design when it can add 30deg to a 100hp motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
            Woof!

I love my 1100, and Suzukis in general, but this is an amazingly bad design when it can add 30deg to a 100hp motor.
            I'm probably closer to 130+HP and everybody knows the left coast is hotter

Comment

I think I'll unhook my stator from the RR and see just how much cooler my bike runs without that stator heating things up. I mean, jeez, an internal combustion engine doesn't generate as much heat as a 250 watt stator on the side of the engine.

I guess series regulators are all that and so much more.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Did you try waxing the bike? I knocked .0005 seconds off my 0-60 time with a fresh coat a turtle wax. I also put the magnet on the fuel line, that really got the front wheel off the ground. Takes alcohol out of the gas too.

I think it's time for a few tests, mythbusters style, on these claims of magic engine cooling with different RRs. Somehow it doesn't make sense that a stator would provide enough heat to raise a 1100cc engine 30 degrees above what combustion does . I suspect I'm not the only one smiling at claims that defy the laws of thermodynamics.

Stay tuned.

Comment

It's not going to be easy but I'll get Kari Byron to check my oil temperature and look for excessive heat being produced. And then we'll start the bike.

Comment

Umm, may we please get back on topic?
                    I am interested in this R/R because I may need one soon. I find the price more in line with what I would expect from this type of product. I believe the CompuFire units are overpriced because they cater to Hardley owners and could care less about frugal GS owners. So if we find a series unit more in our price range it would benefit all of GSR, not just a few who choose to promote one type or another.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Umm, may we please get back on topic?
                      I am interested in this R/R because I may need one soon. I find the price more in line with what I would expect from this type of product. I believe the CompuFire units are overpriced because they cater to Hardley owners and could care less about frugal GS owners. So if we find a series unit more in our price range it would benefit all of GSR, not just a few who choose to promote one type or another.
                      I'm planning to meet Dan (SaltyMonk) this weekend and do a quick test using my equipment.Will be quick just to see if it gives the characteristic stator signature when regulating.

Comment

Access to all the wires will be really easy... this will be a temp install so we won't be able to ride it but I doubt that's what you're after anyway as I assume your scope is not mobile!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Access to all the wires will be really easy... this will be a temp install so we won't be able to ride it but I doubt that's what you're after anyway as I assume your scope is not mobile!

I got duct tape, but ........................ no never mind

Comment

I got cable ties too...
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Let me see if I can dig up a really long extension cord...
                              But seriously, that is good news. If it matches (or approximates) the rather distinctive Compufire waveform it could be interesting.

Comment

It looks very similar to compufire in the pics...
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X