Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use oil pressure switch to switch on ignition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use oil pressure switch to switch on ignition.

Something I thought about but havn't done yet.

Use the oil pressure switch wired to a relay that connects power to the ignitor.

Reason being,

1 Ignitor and coil wouldn't be powered and getting hot while your sitting there with the ignition on. (seems to be allot of fried ignitors and coils these days)

2 If you loose oil pressure. Bike shuts down or acts erratically and you might notice that little oil pressure light more quickly.

3 Bike will only fire if the pressure is there after a few extra cranks.

Plz, Any thoughts For and Against this

Thanks.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

Use the oil pressure switch wired to a relay that connects power to the ignitor.

Reason being,

1 Ignitor and coil wouldn't be powered and getting hot while your sitting there with the ignition on. (seems to be allot of fried ignitors and coils these days)

2 If you loose oil pressure. Bike shuts down or acts erratically and you might notice that little oil pressure light more quickly.

Thanks.
    I think the drag bike guys do this.

Not sure if you plan on doing this in concert with a coil relay mod(coils and ignitor), but depending upon you do it is should not alter your reliability too much.

I would try to avoid using double relays if possible. There might be some details with having to rewire the dash idiot light to work properly with powering the relay as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

Reason being,

Thanks.
      Sure, you could do it, but AS for #2, I hate it when my ignition cuts out just because oil drops low momentarily. Don't forget that oil switch is probably designed for grounding a 4 watt bulb.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Sure, you could do it, but AS for #2, I hate it when my ignition cuts out just because oil drops low momentarily. Don't forget that oil switch is probably designed for grounding a 4 watt bulb.
        Oil pressure switch operates two panel lights on the GSes I am familiar with (850G & 1100G, Oil light and sidestand light). Minor point.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Could be a starting issue. A starter button bypass could be setup. May need a capacitor inline with oil switch to stop momentary oil switch flashes.

I’d setup a 555 timer to turn off ignition after 30 seconds if the oil switch is not activated. It would do the same thing as the oil switch but with out the possible starter and flash problems. You would have to ask an electronic guru to help you set on up.

Comment

Working...
          X