Info on signal generators please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on signal generators please.

In my project to find an interchangeable igniter for the '83 GS 550, I am finding that not all signal generators from models in the 80's are the same. No surprise there.

In the case of the 550 there are 3 leads from the SG to the igniter. Looking at my 83 750 there are 4. Stepping back a year to the 82 750 Kat there are 2. They all have 2 pickup coils.

Can anyone explain the differences for me as the wiring diagrams I'm looking at are not all that informative? In the case of the 550 it shows one lead each from the 2 pickup coils plus one common lead, which being black/white I take to be a ground.

At this point I've more or less come to the conclusion that an igniter from 80 to 82 might have the best chance of working if its only 2 pole on the signal generator side since I could take the ground lead (black/white)from the SG and terminate it on the frame, could I not?

This project is now becoming a bit more urgent as the aftermarket kit from Boyer Bransden would be $277 before shipping and taxes.......ouch

As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    Spyug

Read here that the ones off the GS500 fit.

Comment

At this point I've more or less come to the conclusion that an igniter from 80 to 82 might have the best chance of working if its only 2 pole on the signal generator side
      On further examination, I am revising that statement to read only 1982 igniters. Since the 83 550 has the advance curve built in to the igniter and has no mechanical advance fitted those from earlier models with mechanical advancers won't work.

Dang this is starting to narrow things down a whole lot.

Referring to SV's statement, has anyone else heard or read anything about GS500 parts working? Just checking all leads.

Cheers folks,
      Spyug

Comment

Well, on even further investigation, my supposition is wrong. The 82 model year bikes also came with mechanical advancers so I'm back to looking at 83 and up to about 86 or 87. I will also then have to make sure I'm using the matching signal generator.

I'm going round in circles here.

On another note, during this recent discovery, I noticed that my spare 750 Kat engine has the mechanical advancer mechanism so I will be looking in to the possibility of fitting that to the 550 crank (as some have apparently done). That would then allow me to look at the more reasonibly priced Dyna "S" ignition.

Has anyone got any information on that modification by chance?

Did I mention I'm going around in circles here?

Its 1/2 a step forward and 2 or 3 back it seems.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Working...
        X