Aftermarket CDI units....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket CDI units....

Found this link on a Kawasaki site... programmable & non programmable versions.

Anyone heard anything about it?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I just spent $500 for a brand new NOS OEM igniter. Maybe I should have gotten one of these... .

Comment

Would be interesting for someone to try one out..... Ouch on your OEM price
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Would be interesting for someone to try one out..... Ouch on your OEM price
        I'd be interested as well. Could be a good alternative.

I emailed Boyer-Brandsen and they no longer have any more igniters for the GS450. I looked at Dyna and couldn't find one (They probably do have one). I've had bad luck with eBay igniters. So I bit the bullet and settled with a NOS OEM igniter.

I really hate how there's no aftermarket support for the little bikes .

Comment

I am looking in to options for an igniter for the 83/550 right now. It doesn't seem there is anything available in a Suzuki "interchange", the vaunted Dyna "S" could be made to work (possibly) with some engineering, only Boyer Bransden has a kit but it includes coils and wires and is a pricey $277 before taxes.

Now there is not a lot of information on this site or the products and while they may work I think I'd be leery about dealing with folks in the Czech republic.....just because they are so far away. Boyer product, I can buy locally.

I would be interested in hearing how easy they are to setup and how well they work but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to volunteer at this point.

Thanks for bringing it up.

spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            I am looking in to options for an igniter for the 83/550 right now. It doesn't seem there is anything available in a Suzuki "interchange", the vaunted Dyna "S" could be made to work (possibly) with some engineering, only Boyer Bransden has a kit but it includes coils and wires and is a pricey $277 before taxes.

Now there is not a lot of information on this site or the products and while they may work I think I'd be leery about dealing with folks in the Czech republic.....just because they are so far away. Boyer product, I can buy locally.

I would be interested in hearing how easy they are to setup and how well they work but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to volunteer at this point.

Thanks for bringing it up.

spyug
            Wow! The Boyer-Brandsen's are much cheaper than OEM. Why is it discontinued for my bike?

Aren't those 1983 GS550's prone to igniter failure more often than the other models? I read that somewhere on here.

Comment

Look like they could be a reasonable alternative for sure. The standard TCI seems ok for mechanical advance, although it's a bit hard to interpret.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
              X