hacked up ignition 80 gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hacked up ignition 80 gs550

hey everyone! im brand new here and im looking for a little help with a new project.

i scored an 80 gs550e at least that what it says on the engine case. but its only the engine, frame and forks. the coils are there and the little i guess its an ignition box under the air box is there too.

but the harness is completly gone, like cut out with side cuts. this bike was used to fix one up that a friend had laid down and tore up pretty bad. he was going to haul it in for junk after he stripped it. we rode it around the yard when he got it home so i know it ran at one time. i couldnt let that happen, ive built hot rods and have reasonable welding skills and i want to make it into a bobber. but i cant figure out the igniton, it dosent have points its got feild pickup things and some of the colors match what goes into what im guessing is the ignition box. hehe anyone got any advice? ive been messing with it for weeks and cant get it going.

It may have been fitted with a Dyna S ignition. If that's the case, the ignitor is not needed at all. See if you can post a pic or look for "Dyna" anywhere on the pickup coils.

Oh, and welcome.

Comment

ive seen the dyna s ignition on ebay and such, i think. the ones on the bike are two little grey cubes as opposed the black crecents ive seen on a dyna unit.
      ive been tryin to keep this thing on the cheap, i still need hoops, tank, seat etc.

i just dont want to sink a whole lot of money in it and something happens to the motor and i can get parts for it ya know. i know from exp that some of the older metric stuff can be tricky to get parts sometimes.

and thank you for the welcome!

Comment

Have you found BassCliff's BikeCliff site yet? There's an electrical diagram in the manual for the 550 which is available there IIRC. You ought to be able to graft in some blades to hook up to a used ignitor - though they're getting old. Or just go the Dyna route & be done with it. Maybe do that and get the motor running before deciding to invest any more into it at this point. It's not going to run without an ignition module.

I understand trying to do things on the cheap. But these are motorcycles; failures get a lot more serious here than on 4 wheels. My advice is to either commit to fixing it up well for the experience and pride of doing it, or bail now.

BassCliff's site:

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailjunk View Post
          hey everyone! im brand new here and im looking for a little help with a new project.

i scored an 80 gs550e at least that what it says on the engine case. but its only the engine, frame and forks. the coils are there and the little i guess its an ignition box under the air box is there too.

but the harness is completly gone, like cut out with side cuts. this bike was used to fix one up that a friend had laid down and tore up pretty bad. he was going to haul it in for junk after he stripped it. we rode it around the yard when he got it home so i know it ran at one time. i couldnt let that happen, ive built hot rods and have reasonable welding skills and i want to make it into a bobber. but i cant figure out the igniton, it dosent have points its got feild pickup things and some of the colors match what goes into what im guessing is the ignition box. hehe anyone got any advice? ive been messing with it for weeks and cant get it going.
          Where you at? I have a 78 550 that runs I'll sell you for 150.00, then between the two you could build one
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

heh im in north central WV.

thats a definate 10-4 on getting it running before i really get serious on fixing it up. we rode it around a little before he stirpped it. it needs the carbs cleaned out and prolly a tune up and oil change. it had sat for a long time albeit inside though.

i found a pretty rockin 21" front wheel a little while ago in the shed. i still have many parts to gather, a wiring harness to make from scratch and even more things im sure. but i gotta get it started first.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM.

Comment

i looked over the online manual for the gs550 and im fairly sure ive got everything hooked up right and still nothing, something must be burned up from where ive been monkeying with it. maybe i had some wires crossed. earlyer and cooked the igniter.

Comment

Sounds like the Dyna S is your best option. So we're 100% clear on this (as it seems to cause some confusion): the Dyna S replaces the entire ignition system. You do NOT need an ignitor at all with the Dyna; the ignitor is "built in" to the signal generator. The Dyna connects directly to the coils. You WILL probably need to sand down the rotor slightly or replace the spacer that comes with the DS3-2; the spacer included is a bit too thick for the factory EI systems.

The cheapest price I've seen is on eBay from a seller called "ATV Galaxy". Just search for "DS3-2". Should be about $120 shipped in the US.

Comment

yeah im reasonably clear on how the work, but from what i read some are not compatable with "digital coils". whats that all about?

like this one exactly? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynat...Q5fAccessories
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Not sure what that means (digital coils), but it should work just fine with your stock coils or anything that worked with the factory ignition. Yes, that link is the one.

Comment

Working...
                    X