Weird solenoid issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird solenoid issue?

When I was working on my starter motor issue last week I found the starter button was not operational but I didn't worry about it at the time and merely jumped the solenoid for my tests.

Yesterday I decided to cleanup the starter button and check that the solenoid would trigger. Well it doesn't and its an odd one.

The solenoid does work it just doesn't work when plugged in. If I run a lead from the black/white contact on the solenoid to the negative battery terminal and touch a lead from the power side of the solenoid to the battery positive it works. It doesn't "click", however.

When I plug it in (after cleaning the contacts) it won't fire when the button is pressed and here is where it gets weird. When I check the power side with a test probe there is power......even though the button is not pressed.

When I disconnect the solenoid and test the harness side power lead there is no voltrage present......until the button is pressed....which is as it should be.

I have grounded the solenoid to the frame and it makes no difference. All I can think of is that the solenoid is in fact defective. To me, it seems once the solenoid is plugged in power from the battery (red lead from the battery) is exiting the solenoid back into the harness. Would that seem reasonible and the solenoid is bum?

Any thoughts folks?

Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM.

Thanks John. Pretty much did all that so I'm thinking its toast. I think I'm going to just pick up another and give it a whirl. Loews here I come.

I'll let you know what I find.

cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Well I guess I called it right. Slapped in a "garden tractor" solenoid and once I had it grounded properly, she fired ( well the solenoid triggered and the starter turned).

What I don't quite understand is that it needs to be grounded directly to the battery. Grounding to the frame alone doesn't cut it.

Now I just need to figure where and how to mount it as its a tad larger than the oem unit.

Mark one down for the good guys.

cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Working...
      X