Stator cover removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator cover removal

So I picked up an impact driver and was able to get all the bolts off without a problem. But the cover is not budging. In Cliff's walk through it say to try to coax it off with a rubber mallet, which I did attempt. However I am still getting no movement.

Is it possible that someone put some kind of adhesive on this thing? I can't imagine that the magnetic power is that strong.

Any advice on getting this thing off would be appreciated. Its the first decent day we've had here in a while and I'd hate to get hung up on this one thing.

Thanks

Originally posted by detorn View Post
    So I picked up an impact driver and was able to get all the bolts off without a problem. But the cover is not budging. In Cliff's walk through it say to try to coax it off with a rubber mallet, which I did attempt. However I am still getting no movement.

Is it possible that someone put some kind of adhesive on this thing? I can't imagine that the magnetic power is that strong.

Any advice on getting this thing off would be appreciated. Its the first decent day we've had here in a while and I'd hate to get hung up on this one thing.

Thanks
    Well, you got the screws out! It's now a combination of overcoming magnetic force and stuckion. From the top, pry VERY CAREFULLY with a wide flat screwdriver- it will suddenly break free of the stuckion and will pop off as you tug. Be sure to clean off old gasket thoroughly or you'll be removing it again.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

done

So I was a little worried about the force needed to get this thing off. As you are looking at it, on the top right there is a little area that is not flush. I put the flat head screw driver there and gave it a couple taps with the mallet and it popped off. then I was able to pull it off little bits at a time.

I know I will have some reassembly questions cause there were thing loose in there that I know were not supposed to be, but I've made it as far as I'm going today.

Thanks for the help tom.

Comment

I just took mine off for polishing. The wire shield, wire retainer and the three screws holding the stator in place all had stator wire insulating varnish pored into the screw holes to act as thread locker. If anything is loose in there, I imagine it has been off before and no thread locker was used for the replacement stator. It was a bear to to get the screws out even with an impact driver.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Well, you got the screws out! It's now a combination of overcoming magnetic force and stuckion. From the top, pry VERY CAREFULLY with a wide flat screwdriver- it will suddenly break free of the stuckion and will pop off as you tug. Be sure to clean off old gasket thoroughly or you'll be removing it again.
          I used the screwdriver to pry mine off last year too and I'll just add one piece of advice - make sure you go over that cover to check for ridges. You want it to seal correctly when you are done since oil does get in there to help cool the stator.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
          X