gs 750 front brake light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 front brake light issue

just went to get an inspection on my 77' gs 750. this bike is new to me. anyway the front brake doesnt consistantly activate the light. comes on goes off etc. so i failed insp. just got some oxiclean for connections. also it was pouring rain. water could have had something to do with it as well. wondering if there is anything else i should be looking for.... thanks..

Sounds like you've got it covered - not a lot to go wrong with these very simple switches.

Incidentally, in the UK we don't need a front switch for bikes registered before 1983. If we fit one though, it has to work properly.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There is not much to the switch, but it does have to be clean to work properly. The switch is on the bottom of the master cylinder assembly, held on by just two screws. Make sure the lid is firmly attached to the reservoir, loosen the assembly and spin it around on the bar so the switch is on top, for better working conditions.

Clean the U-shaped slider and the contacts on the board, make sure the spring is in the middle of the U. When you re-assemble, make sure the tab goes into the hole in the brake lever.

Good luck.

Oh, if you feel you need a new switch assembly, they are only about $10, and include everything you need.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks. So much. I love this place.

Comment

Hi,

I hope you got your "mega-welcome" and a link to my website. If you have visited my website, you might have seen this:

Front Brake Switch Repair
          (by Mr. gravity tester)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

By the way, I have seen an inline banjo fitting, pressure activated switch

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
              By the way, I have seen an inline banjo fitting, pressure activated switch
              Yes, they tend to work very reliably, but you have to actually apply some braking effort before the light will come on.

There are times I want to flash my brake light without actually applying the brakes.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Passed inspection today. I think it was a water issue. Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Yes, they tend to work very reliably, but you have to actually apply some braking effort before the light will come on.

There are times I want to flash my brake light without actually applying the brakes.

I couldn't stand the OEM switch ...

So its a banjo fitting for me, I flash the brakes by tapping my right toe

(Also, that makes it easier to hold steady throttle and flash when that's appropriate to do ... )

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                    ..., I flash the brakes by tapping my right toe
                    Actually, I let some electronic wizardry flash my lights.

I don't always have the time.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Actually, I let some electronic wizardry flash my lights.

I don't always have the time.

If (When) I ever get my LEDs done, they will have the same wizardry PLUS Conspicuity Flicker

It sounds hokey, but really works ...

Comment

Working...
                      X