1980 gs 850g "mongral" and the ignitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs 850g "mongral" and the ignitor

I started to sort my electrics as I noticed there was a lot of "P/O" work done and a couple connectors that had seen better days. So essentially I am rewiring everything. I got my wiring diagram from my Haynes book... went over it a bunch of times. Ad decided to go at it...

First "What the..?" came when I looked at the wires comming from the points/condensers, wrong colors... OK, remove cover and... signal generator? what the... ok so i have schematics for other years.... found a few with these, so then i track down the ignitor.. ok, wait... wires dont match with ANY schematics I have.... (7 wires) blk/wht, brn/yel, blu/r, org, blk/red, blk, grn/blk

blk/wht seems to be gnd... other than that? I'm guessing... any help is appreciated.

Ignitor is 374-6

-Mark
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Hi,

Does this help?

Download a 1980 GS850G Wiring Diagram (color)

You'll find lots more GS850G goodness on my website. You might even fine a Suzuki Factory Manual. The '79 has points but the '80 has electronic ignition. See the supplement in the manual.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you Bass,

Just a little confused as the colors in your schematic arnt matching mine either. Just scared to hook it up wrong and let the magic smoke out...

-Mark

ps.... and i'm down loading...
      Last edited by mvalenti; 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic

Comment

Basscliffs Website is a great resource

I am new here and i have come across basscliffs website. It has a ton of great info, and manuals for many different bikes. If that doesn't help, i guess you could check with an ohm meter to make sure you know where each wire is going. Make your own schematic and rewire it accordingly. Will take longer, but it will at least be right. Good luck my friend - we are in the same boat.

-Mark

Comment

I don't think you are looking at the right item.

#374-6 is on the right side, next to the turn signal flasher?

Item # 374-6 is NOT your ignitor, it's the turn signal control unit.

Your ignitor is much larger and on the other side of the battery box.

The ignitor is the black box that is only half-shown in the left side of this picture:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Du'ooooooooh.... Found the ignitor in my parts box... ooops... I thought I had everything... Thanks all... funny thing to is that the wire colors now make sense.... I guess I owe you guys a video iof the first fire up... Thanks!

-Mark
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

wired, now not starting, not even a click..... starter disconnect switch location? the manual on basscliffs site is a little unclear..
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic

Comment

Pull the clutch lever, then hit the starter button.

If you wish to defeat that "safety" feature, follow the wires from the clutch switch into the headlight bucket, you will see the bullet connectors where they attach to the main harness. Separate the connectors, then connect the two connectors on the main harness side to each other. You will no longer have to pull the clutch to use the starter.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, I went thru the harness and schematic and made sure I had it bypassed. I made a REALLY REALLY REALLY stupid mistake.... I wired my starter solenoid to the positive of the battery (red) fine, and the black wire that was suppose to go to the starter went to the negative side of the battery... it was black, i did it without thinking.... I also cleaned the contacts in the push button, dicey connection there I found and a potential short on the kill switch too...... well she started right after I saw that mistake and made the correction....... Thanks again for the help!

-Mark
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X