Starter pics need opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter pics need opinion

So I have been having some starting issues. Here are some pics of the starter.
    Is this still usable with a rebuild

I have read through all the threads about cleaning up the commutator but I didnt see any info about if it was missing a little bit of material
    Here is what the old brushes looked like, rebuild kit is on the way

With the commutator looking like that, I would say you need a new starter, or take it to a good auto electrical/mechanical shop where they can rebuild it for you. It'll just tear up your new brushes. I've never seen one that's spit a piece of the commutator like that.

Comment

I kinda figured I am going to need a new one just wondering if I can run this one temporarily till I can find another one.
      The rebuild kit was only $27 bucks on the bay.
      I just wasnt sure if it was a thing like no it wont work, or......it will work but just not the best situation.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
        I kinda figured I am going to need a new one just wondering if I can run this one temporarily till I can find another one.
        The rebuild kit was only $27 bucks on the bay.
        I just wasnt sure if it was a thing like no it wont work, or......it will work but just not the best situation.
        Just chance a used one off ebay- maybe forty bucks- a used starter is most likely ok, as it's not an item that kills these bikes.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X