can't figure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't figure

Went out to start my 83 1100 gl the other day. Turn the key, the lights come on for a couple seconds and then it goes dark. I've taken a look and it seems something is sucking all the power thru the main circut but not blowing the fuse or frying wires. help?

Welcome to the forum. How good is the battery? Do you have a multimeter that you can check it? If it's below 12v you won't get anything off of it and will either need to recharge or replace.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes the battery is good. Also not the reg. recti.....

Comment

What voltage is it putting out when the key is off? on? what is the voltage at the coils? Do you have power to all the fuses (left side of main fuse when key off and both sides when key is on)? Don't just check your fuses manually but use a power light.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jerry merrick View Post
          Yes the battery is good. Also not the reg. recti.....
          "not the r/r ", how did you reach this conclusion? The r/r connects to harness and then to battery thru main fuse, unless you have a direct connection.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jerry merrick View Post
            Went out to start my 83 1100 gl the other day. Turn the key, the lights come on for a couple seconds and then it goes dark. I've taken a look and it seems something is sucking all the power thru the main circut but not blowing the fuse or frying wires. help?
            Difficult to troubleshoot electrical problems by "looking".
            Need a volt meter or a test probe/lamp.

All the lights go dark, or just the headlight?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X