Stator gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator gone

Another GS stator bites the dust. I started my old GS1100GL after months of sitting in peaces and I thought I’d check the charging system. Running at 13.7 volt at idle and dropping to 12.9 volt at 5000 RPM so I knew something was amiss. The regulator ohmed out fine so I ohmed the stator and it seemed fine. Started it up and check stator voltage lead to lead to find 64.8 volts at idle and 27.4 volts at idle lead to case. Time for a change. Plucked a Rick’s stator off the shelf and slapped it in. Started it up again and low and behold 13.8 volts at idle with 14.6 volts at 5000 RPM. And it would appear that another issue was salved with the stator change. There was an issue with the bike revving up a little sluggish and it seemed to work to get past 6000 RPM. I was thinking that I might have missed something in the carbs after finding 2 and 3 exhaust header pipes running 50 degrees less then 1 and 4. But now after the stator change that issue is gone so I wonder if the AC voltage going to ground from the stator could be messing up the signals in the igniter a little. Anyway the bike runs good now and I’m on to the turn signals and paint job.

Hi,

Good work. Yes it seems low voltages can lead to weak or intermittent spark. Be sure to post up pictures of your work and paint job when you get a chance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X