stator connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator connections

Hello to all i am rebuilding a gs1000 e just got bike fired up the other night everything was checking out fine voltage at batt at 3000 rpm was 13.8 volts but at idle it was jumping around and the stator wires at the connections were getting hot to the touch . is this normal or could it be dirty connections ??????

thanks for replies
    steve

Yes check your connections and make sure the reg has a good ground direct to the battery.. Go to the stator pages and do a complete test.

Comment

13.8 is fairly good, and good enough for a open cell battery. A non-vented battery or AGM could tollerate a higher charging voltage.

But the stator connections heating up can be a problem after a while, and you are lossing some cahrging power there. ANd getting warm like that makses the wires brittle after a while. ANd if the conenctions get worse and heats up enough to melt the insullation, then you will have more problems. SO good that you found it now.

You can try cleaning the connenctions. But my expereince has been that the problem is where the connectors are crimped onto the wires, and there isnt much you can do about that. Most folks recommend cutting off the connectors and soldering the wires (and heatshrink tubing), and that provides the best connection, but my concern with that is that cant get it part for furter testing if need be. Some folks use generic crimp on connectors, but my expereince os that those are not relaible especailly if the wires have becoem brittle from being overheated. For a temperarty test you can use the small grey wirenuts, they make good conenctions, and can be taken apart, but not a good long term fix.
      So cutting the conenctors off, and solderiong the wires to gether and the heatshrink tubing is the best for a good connection.
      Last edited by Redman; 04-28-2011, 10:34 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Try cleaning the connections with DeOxit and DeOxit Gold. Go all the way through the Stator Papers. Do a search and you'll find there's lot's of opinions on how to deal with your electrical system / regulator rectifier.

Comment

thanks guys for replies will do everything on list you guys said and will let you know how it works out i am going to be working on it this weekend for sure

steve

Comment

Working...
          X