Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instrument Panel Shorting in my GS1100ES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Panel Shorting in my GS1100ES?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought russr33's 83 1100ES a few days ago. (BTW, I'm working on posting an intro of myself in the GS Owner's section.)

I started the bike yesterday, while on it's kickstand, to go for my 1st official ride since purchase and the entire instrument panel (gauges, indicator lights) was flickering and even went completely dark at one point. When I tapped on the enclosure several times everything would flicker on. Once I actually got on the bike and rode everything lit up and remained working. While the panel was dark I checked the headlight. It was on.

I spoke to russr33 about it. He said he'd seen an indicator light or two flicker in the past but never the entire panel, and suggested I post this query.

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Can you open up the headlight on an ES ? I normally open up the headlight on my EZ and clean every connector in there. Electrical spray contact cleaner. Pretty common for an old GS to have some electrical bugs.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

there are also some main connectors under the gas tank. As Dave said, it would be a good idea to clean, them. I use a little dielectic grease and then keep the connections from coming apart using a end to end ziptie.

Harbor Freight also has some oversized shrink tubing that you can pull over and cover all of those zip tied connectors.

Comment

No all the connectors for the dash and everything else on the ES are under the tank. There's no headlamp bucket really. Pull the tank. Under it you'll see the brain box. It's about 4x3x2 only box that large. Following the subharness coming out of that box you'll find a set of connectors with what should be a rubber sock over it. Pull the rubber sock back and make sure those two are pushes together all the way. Over time, and heat cycles, that connector gets weak and won't stay together very well. Take a couple of zip ties and zip tie it together nice and snug. See if that helps. Also check all the other connectors there while you have the tank off. Some dielectric grease in them would be a good idea too.

If that doesn't help you may have a brain box going bad. I think Blowerbike has one to sell, cause they're not cheap if even available through zook.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

I appreciate the - I'm sure hard-earned - advice! TheCafeKid, I'll keep Blowerbike in mind if it comes to a brain box.

Comment

Here is a pic of my Headlamp bucket; I know you have the square headlamp but you get the idea. The zip ties are end to end of the connector (threaded through the wire) underneath the shrink tubing. It is not completely water proof but is better that bare. Obvioulsy you have to put the shrinkwrap first far enough back to get the zip tie on.

Comment

Working...
            X