Battery dead after a ride, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parkyeah View Post
    Checked the Stator and it's pumping out current no problem. Holding 90 volts across all three wires at 5000rpm. I guess it's the regulator. That's a lot easier to replace!
    You're on the right track- that juice is not making it to the battery, Make sure your existing R/R is hooked up correctly, but, yes,it sounds like your R/R has failed.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Checked the connections from the R/R to the battery and they're all good. Thanks!

Comment

You might try running a ground wire from the regulator to the battery negative and see what that does to your voltage readings
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The R/R is already ground to the negative battery terminal. Thanks.

Comment

I replaced my regulator with one off of a Yamaha. I can't remember the part number. I think it started with FH0... There is a part number in a thread somewhere. It is a little big and I had to mount it somewhere different but it works great. Also check the connector, mine was melted together. I had to cut it off and replace it.

Comment

I plan to solder all the connections and remove the connectors all together. Ordered a replacement off of ebay. Hopefully it will show up next week. Cross your fingers!

Thanks to BassCliff for supplying the Clymer manual. Between that and the Stator Papers I'm pretty sure I've got it nailed down.

Comment

Are you removing all connectors? I wouldn't do that unless you have some way of getting access to parts around your harness. What happens if you need to troubleshoot an end point? Are you going to redo the entire harness? Yes, connectors introduce another point of failure but they serve a good purpose too by providing a modular approach to different parts of the bike.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I was just going to remove the harness that the R/R plugs into and solder that as the new R/R has no harness just 5 loose wires.

Comment

Originally posted by parkyeah View Post
                    I was just going to remove the harness that the R/R plugs into and solder that as the new R/R has no harness just 5 loose wires.

I strongly suggest you connect the Stator wires directly to the R/R. Forget about those old harness wires. For the R/R output, you can go though the old fuseblock, or direct to the battery if you are willing to add another fuse.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hmmmm... That would be good. Currently my bike only has one 15A fuse in the entire system. It is between the positive output of the R/R and the positive battery terminal. Where would I add the second fuse?

Comment

R/R finally showed up while I was on vacation last week. Got home today and installed it, problem solved.

Comment

Did you run back through the stator papers again after installing it?
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, she's healthy again!

Comment

Working...
                            X