80 gs450l lost spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs450l lost spark

hi guys, new here! traded my truck for the bike cuz i missed riding and wanted sumthin cheaper on gas than my truck was. i rode it all around a couple days just fine. (for a 30 yr old bike that had been sittin up). parked it, went to get back on it 10-15 mins later and it would turn over but nuthin. checked for fuel then checked plug wire and no spark. withh me tryin to start it, it did nuthin for a while, then hit a small lick, then back to not firing. i tried searching on here for answers, but just found bits of info here n there. i wanna trouble shoot from the signal generator thing(??points w/ mech adv in my kz550) to the plugs and i was hopin someone could link or lay it all out for me in one spot so i dont miss nothing. really hope its not igniter lol, the aforementioned 86 kz is in shop with brand new dyna coils/wires and new plugs needin an igniter also . please help I WANNA RIDE!!! thanks ahead guys!

First off you need to verify your battery is good and putting off about 13v with the key off and above 12v when it is on. Then start working from there to check the fuses, starter button, etc.

Welcome though. Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

thanks for the welcome. battery should b good but i put on charge last night anyway. starter button workin-no prob turnin over. i know the basic idea of how to check the stuff, i just dont know wich wires should have what on them and when, what resistances i should have and where. any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comment

BBD,

Here is a link to manaul

that is on CLiffs web site.
        Looks like a CLymer manaul.
        Schamatics are in the back.
        And sound like you have a voltmeter.

I am not familair with the 400/450s other than to know they are 2 cyclinder. I dont even know if they have two ciols or one coil.

But take meter and see if have power to ignition circuit.

You say it cranks over. Usally the starter soolenoid is on same fuse circuit as the ignition (and kill switch) so know power is good to that point anyway.

Take meter and see if have power to the coil(s), anything beyound that is getting pretty specific to the 400/450. Manaul should have some details for checking the pickup, and maybe a test for checking the ignitor.

Oh, when looking for problems with the ignition, dont overlook the sparkplug caps. Again, I am not familair with the 400/450, but on 4 cyclinder GSes the sparkplug caps are resistir caps and they do go high resistnace and then fail completley open. SHould be right about 5 K ohms. Are avaialble at most any mo'cycle shop, well, NKG brand, dont need to be stock Zuki.

Tell us more what you find.

And, Welcome to GSR.

>>>later note
        Oh, wait, wait, I am not suppose to give any advise untill you post picture of your bike.
        Will let you get bye, but just this time.
        (joking)

Last edited by Redman; 04-30-2011, 11:48 AM. Reason: add later note.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Use the manual in Redman's post and there are tests for everything in there, the Clymer is the best non-factory manual.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

well i think i had it narrowed down to the igniter and found me a used one and should be in the mail soon! cant wait to get her back going! try to get some pics up soon

Comment

Working...
            X