Spark plug terminal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug terminal question

I ordered NGK B8ES spark plugs from the PartShark fiche. They look like normal spark plugs to me, however the spark plugs I removed (B7ES) have a different terminal. The old spark plug's terminal is smaller with small threads/ridges.

Obviously the spark plugs caps are expecting this size terminal and don't work with the new plugs I bought. Do I have non-standard spark plug caps? Or did I order the wrong plugs?

Originally posted by scott View Post
    I ordered NGK B8ES spark plugs from the PartShark fiche. They look like normal spark plugs to me, however the spark plugs I removed (B7ES) have a different terminal. The old spark plug's terminal is smaller with small threads/ridges.

Obviously the spark plugs caps are expecting this size terminal and don't work with the new plugs I bought. Do I have non-standard spark plug caps? Or did I order the wrong plugs?

You should be able to spin the ends off the threads of the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      You should be able to spin the ends off the threads of the tips.
      I thought it might be something like that. I gave that a try with a pair of plyers and wound up un-screwing the whole terminal. I'll take a look at it again to see where I messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
        I thought it might be something like that. I gave that a try with a pair of plyers and wound up un-screwing the whole terminal. I'll take a look at it again to see where I messed up.
        Hi,

I think you might have grabbed it too hard with your pliers. It's just a little dab of metal that twists off the top.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There are plugs around with permanent nuts on the end which cannot be turned off. If you use those you will need to change your spark plug caps, rather get the correct plugs.

Comment

I'm not sure what my problem is but I couldn't seem to get the nuts off . I wound up taking the plugs to the local Napa auto parts store. They were able to get the nuts off by putting the terminal nut in a table vise and then using a wrench on the spark plug to thread the tips off (he had particular trouble with the one I had messed up with pliers). So for now at least, the issue has been resolved although I'm not confident I will be successful on my next attempt.

For future spark plug changes, do the NGK replacement spark plug caps described in the guide on BassCliff's site (NGK XB05F and VB05F) require the terminal nut to be removed or do they work with the nut intact?
            Spark Plug Cap Replacement

Comment

The NGK parts finder has a phot link off the url for the B8ES that shows it with the lug end not the screw tips.

Did this run of bikes use different plug caps?

Or maybe they are for autos as in this list.
              Dont know why a shop would have plugs for a Porsche or what part number is used to differentiat these though.

Comment

Working...
              X