Dyna S Return Currents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S Return Currents

I have advocated using a single point ground to pick up all return currents an minimize the current running between the battery and R/R to only battery charging currents. The main concern is that with the large battery ground strap to the frame, most frame return grounds will come back through the frame, to the engine and past the battery on the way back to the R/R.

It occurred to me that those currents also include the Dyna S return currents because I don't know how the Dyna S returns current other than through it's mounting plate. Can anybody confirm that?

This adds to the return current between the batter and R/R. It would be avoided using a ground strap from the mounting bolt to the frame.

Attached is an example showing running/blinker light current returns in combination with coil current returns in the frame back past the battery to the R/R.

this first picture shows about 7 amps + is running from the battery to the R/R(-). The ext figure will reduce that to about 3 amps (i.e. only the battery charging currents)
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-01-2011, 12:44 AM.

If you compare this drawing to the previous, it basically demonstrates what a ground loop is. When you share current like in the first picture, you have what is called a ground loop. The coil and lights return current if affecting the voltage between the battery and the R/R(-).

By using a single point ground independent returns to the R/R(-), where current always return back to the source and the is no sharing of the return currents there are NO GROUND LOOPS.

Comment

Working...
    X