Is this a Stator issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a Stator issue?

I've searched through the forums but can't seem to find this particular issue.

1984 GS 750 EF. Bike starts up and runs. Relatively new battery. Today, I drove it 5-10 miles, hung out for a few hours, and when I came back the battery was just about dead (starter would only turn sluggishly). I assumed that I had just accidentally left the key in the "on" position and the battery was drained as I'm forgetful and do stupid stuff like that all the time. So I push-started the bike and went on my merry way... until 4-5 miles later and the bike died on the highway. Completely dead, no juice, no lights, no entine, no nothin'.

So, it was hot and sunny out today (a rarity in Portland, OR). And I seem to recall my bike doing similar things last summer when it was hot out, although I thought I solved that problem when I found a short in run/off switch.

Could this be the notorious stator problems? I already have the ElectroSport Regulator/Rectifier combo sitting on a shelf ready to install (I purchased it last summer before finding the short, but kept "just in case").

The only reason I'm posting this before I install the ElectroSport is I'm short on time the next few weeks and don't want to go through the hassle of installing it right now if it's not going to fix the problem. (Plus, a small nagging part of me tells me to just part the bike now and move on to other projects! )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It could be any of a number of electrical issues

Test it and tell us what you find
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

All those test require a running bike. I'll see if charging the battery will accomplish that.

Comment

Actually, make sure you have a good battery first, not just a charged one. If it won't hold a charge on its own first you'll have problems with the rest of the tests.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Troubleshooting the charging system assumes a good battery. Always start with a known good battery. Here's a little information.

The Stator Papers

More On The Stator Papers

GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

Fusebox Cleanup

Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks everyone! I charged the battery and it tested out fine. I put it back in and started running the tests. Found a few disconnected wires (to the coil). But, I figured since I was at it, I should just go ahead and install the new parts. I did so and they're running fine. I also changed the oil while I was playing around with the bike.... but now I can't get the damn cover to go back on correctly. The nuts just spin... <sigh> Time to do some research.

Comment

Hi,

It's easy to strip those acorn nuts. They don't need much torque. Order some new ones and use some substitutes from the hardware store until they arrive.

See:
                Oil Cover Studs and Nuts

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X