80 gs450: convert to points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs450: convert to points?

Igniter has gone bad on my gs, and I've read a lot about them going bad... It's always a gamble scoring a used one cheap on eGay that it might be bad or go bad soon.... so I'm thinking I could go to points and then it would be serviceable or I could at least carry extra parts around so I wouldn't get stranded? Yes, I know points can be a little difficult to set up, but once they are set it should run great for a long long time.

Also:

I'm not interested in buying a ~$400 new replacement igniter.

I'm not interested in converting to a dyna S setup.

Ideas?

Hi,

This question has been asked before. You may search for details if you like. But I seem to recall that "downgrading" to points is nearly impossible because of the mechanical advance. There's not a convenient way to install one on a newer bike. A new or used ignitor, or a Dyna-S are about your only options. There is a thread around here somewhere about building your own ignitor. Try this: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=157250

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff,

I thought the points system operated with a mechanical advance? Also, I've read about using the Dyna S, but could not find anywhere to actually purchase it?

I read through Pete's thread about the HEI conversion and I still don't think he or anyone else has had good results on the 450's?

Comment

Originally posted by mlc216 View Post
        Basscliff,

I thought the points system operated with a mechanical advance? Also, I've read about using the Dyna S, but could not find anywhere to actually purchase it?

I read through Pete's thread about the HEI conversion and I still don't think he or anyone else has had good results on the 450's?
        Pete's results looked great to me... Though I'd definitely wait until he has a chance to test it throughout the rev range before going out and building one.

Comment

Dang maybe that's the thread that I didn't finish reading haha. I've been through way too much information and a few late nights this weekend that have me a bit scrambled...

Comment

Also, I've seen several dyna ignition setups for the 550's and up, but nothing for a 450....

I have searched and not found any information on using a dyna S ignitions specifically on the two cylinder bikes... Maybe I just suck at the search function?

Comment

Your bike has mechanical advance, I have never tried it but I would suspect a points assembly and advance mechanicals from a earlier GS400 or such should fit.. Dyna did not make much for the 2 cyl bikes. I would look for Petronics ? brand or something like that from the UK
              Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm actually watching that one... but I'm trying to figure out if the advance mechanism is the same or what from the points to electronic ignition models....

Comment

I'm not sure on converting back to points, although I will admit to having considered it at one point...

My ignitor replacement was successful at idle, but I couldn't get it past idle due to other factors, so the circuit's far from proven.

If you wanted to make it as is and try it for yourself, then go for your life. I can't see me getting further testing done for a while yet as my build is basically stalled until I can get funds and time again.

The thread link is in my sig. below if you want to peruse... If you wanted to try it, the modules were $AU 9.95 each on eBay and the other electronic bits and pieces were less than $AU 30.00 including the heatsink which may or may not be required.

Usually you guys in the US have stupidly cheaper prices than us, so I suspect you'd be in for $30 or less depending on the cost of the modules.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete,
                    I've enlisted in the help of someone I consider a wiring/electrical guru. He has come up with several great ideas for xs650's, and one of those using an HEI module for ignition. I sent him an email asking a few questions and gave him a link to your HEI thread, so hopefully he'll chime in with some ideas that might help us both!

Comment

Cool, that'd be great if he can offer some advice to you and on to me also as I'm in no position to test any further at the moment unfortunately.

I have emailed Lou who is the "guru" on the HEI modules by the looks and he's waiting on me to test further also. He's on a Kawasaki forum so doesn't get to see the stuff on here, but he's helped Matchless out before and seems to be a very knowledgeable and helpful guy.

sigpic

Comment

I guess it's possible that Lou and Mr. Riggs are the same person? haha maybe not. But that would be pretty weird. Mr. Riggs has done a lot in the yamaha XS650 world, but I don't know if he is involved with kawasaki's or not?

Comment

Nah definitely not, Lou's last name starts with a D and he's definitely a Kwaka boy

sigpic

Comment

Still no word from Mr. Riggs.

But, I can kind of sum up what he did on the xs650 HEI system...

He modified a pickup and reluctor from a toyota distributor to send a signal to the HEI module which then fired a chevy dual output coil. Massive sparks can be made with chevy coils!

On my xs650 I went from two single output coils to one dual output coil... it just fired both cylinders at the same time since the pistons move up and down at the same time. How is a gs450 phased? Vibrations aren't nearly as bad as my xs650, so I'm guessing both pistons do not go up at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                            X