Ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problem

So, it seems I have an ignition problem with my 650. Last year, as I was on my way to my bike's winter storage location, I stopped at a gas station to top off the tank. I filled her up, started the bike up, but before I could leave the gas station, the bike died. Tried to start her up but she just cranked and cranked. So I immediately thought no spark, since the bike always started just fine, especially when hot.

So, now the the weather is getting warmer, I've done some troubleshooting to try and determine the problem. Here's the gist of things.

-No spark on cylinders 1, 2 and 4.

-Weak spark on cylinder 3.

-Fuses test out good.

-Newer NGK spark plug caps.

-Resistance from signial generator is 320.

I didn't test the igniter unit, as per the manual, because I didn't have a 1.5V battery handy. But will pick some up on my way home tonight to test.

Can I assume my igniter is shot? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to be riding again!

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
    So, it seems I have an ignition problem with my 650. Last year, as I was on my way to my bike's winter storage location, I stopped at a gas station to top off the tank. I filled her up, started the bike up, but before I could leave the gas station, the bike died. Tried to start her up but she just cranked and cranked. So I immediately thought no spark, since the bike always started just fine, especially when hot.

So, now the the weather is getting warmer, I've done some troubleshooting to try and determine the problem. Here's the gist of things.

-No spark on cylinders 1, 2 and 4.

-Weak spark on cylinder 3.

-Fuses test out good.

-Newer NGK spark plug caps.

-Resistance from signial generator is 320.

I didn't test the igniter unit, as per the manual, because I didn't have a 1.5V battery handy. But will pick some up on my way home tonight to test.

Can I assume my igniter is shot? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to be riding again!
    Mr. Matchless's test on ignitor is remove signal generator cover, turn on ignition,slide tip of small screwdriver past signal coil for #1 and #4-plugs 1 and 4 should fire; repeat for signal coil for #2 and #3. Have you cleaned that plug that carries blue and green wires from signal generator to ignitor? This is weak signal and won't like any resistance. Check the ignitor connections that run thru molded plug up to coils and make sure ignitor is well grounded. I'd try a new fuse in ignition spot.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Besides your manual and Mr. tom203's suggestions, all I can offer is the following:

Testing The Ignition System

Diagnosing Slow Cranking

Igniter/Signal Generator/Coil Test

Igniter Repair/Testing (2MB PDF)

And the rest of my "Electrical Odds and Ends".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Mr. Matchless's test on ignitor is remove signal generator cover, turn on ignition,slide tip of small screwdriver past signal coil for #1 and #4-plugs 1 and 4 should fire; repeat for signal coil for #2 and #3. Have you cleaned that plug that carries blue and green wires from signal generator to ignitor? This is weak signal and won't like any resistance. Check the ignitor connections that run thru molded plug up to coils and make sure ignitor is well grounded. I'd try a new fuse in ignition spot.
        I've got (weak) spark on all four plugs based on this ignitor test (thanks!). My battery, however, is shot. I also tested the resistance of my coils, with results of 20.9 and 20.7 ohms on the secondary windings (as out of spec.) and around 4 ohms on the primary windings (in spec.). I'm gonna get a new battery ASAP. Should I also consider new coils?

Comment

Test again with a new battery first. Then consider doing the coil relay mod.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Test again with a new battery first. Then consider doing the coil relay mod.
            Correct me if I'm wrong but, the coil relay mod has nothing to do with resistance between the secondary windings of the coils, but is done to assure 12 volts at the coils when you hit the starter button...

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but, the coil relay mod has nothing to do with resistance between the secondary windings of the coils, but is done to assure 12 volts at the coils when you hit the starter button...
              Yeah, but get that new battery first and see if you get improved spark- the rotor spins past the signal coils alot faster than that screwdriver tip.Your primary coil resistance is good and I've found secondary coil readings to be vague at times. My bike gets decent spark with 11 volts at coils- no coil mod yet.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It is for good voltage when ever the ignition key and kill switch are on, not just when the starter button is on.

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

Alrighty then. I'll get a new battery and add the relay mod to my list. FWIW, this bike has always seemed to me, to have a weak spark. I think I just wanted an excuse to get some new high performance coils...
                  Thanks guys.

Comment

Alrighty then. I'll get a new battery and add the relay mod to my list. FWIW, this bike has always seemed to me, to have a weak spark. I think I just wanted an excuse to get some new high performance coils...
                    Thanks guys.
                    " always seemed.... to have a weak spark" ? as in doesn't start right up or some other display? A weak battery leads to many problems- I struggled with PO's bad battery, before I got an AGM battery.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Problem solved

So got my new battery on Friday. I found I was only getting about 9.6 volts at the coils with the new battery. I cleaned up a few of the electrical connections and was able to get the voltage up to around 10v at the coils. Hit the starter button and she fired up almost right away! So it looks like all I needed was a new battery. I've got alot more cleaning to do and I'll still do the coil relay mod when time allows. But, at least I'm riding! Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

So got my new battery on Friday. I found I was only getting about 9.6 volts at the coils with the new battery. I cleaned up a few of the electrical connections and was able to get the voltage up to around 10v at the coils. Hit the starter button and she fired up almost right away! So it looks like all I needed was a new battery. I've got alot more cleaning to do and I'll still do the coil relay mod when time allows. But, at least I'm riding! Thanks for all the replies.
                        Yeah, clean all those connections and enjoy riding worry free in that wonderful Cape summer traffic! I lived in Bourne back when life was simple- i.e., no internet, no cell phones and no ethanol!
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X