No spark but ohm reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark but ohm reading...

My 1982 gs550 only sometime fires. the secondary on 1-4 is 25k ohm and 2-3 bouncing from 25k to 45k. primary on both are around 5.6. the orange and white wires going to the 1-4 when not connected to the coil is 125.7k and orange and black is 144.7k.

I keep bouncing around from generator to cdi to coils to coil caps... can anyone tell me what to do? Also can someone please give me the colored wiring diagram and the info on how to test all of my ignition system.
    thanks everyone

Originally posted by Defore View Post
    My 1982 gs550 only sometime fires. the secondary on 1-4 is 25k ohm and 2-3 bouncing from 25k to 45k. primary on both are around 5.6. the orange and white wires going to the 1-4 when not connected to the coil is 125.7k and orange and black is 144.7k.

I keep bouncing around from generator to cdi to coils to coil caps... can anyone tell me what to do? Also can someone please give me the colored wiring diagram and the info on how to test all of my ignition system.
    thanks everyone
    That primary ohm reading sounds high compared to ones that I have at about 4 ohms. Are they stock coils- most likely beige color? The 125.7k and 144.7k doesn't mean much as ignitor grounds these out as it wants. Basscliff should have a useful colored wiring diagram along with everything you want to know about most everything- visit often and be amazed!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

One thing you can try is to solidify the cap to wire connections by unscrewing each plug cap, trim the wire back about 1/4" until the copper wire is clean & fresh, then twist the caps back on. Secondary readings with stock coils should be around 35K I think.

I agree with Tom concerning the primary readings - all the stock coils I've checked are between 3.5 - 4.5 ohms.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

BikeCliff BassCliff website has entire Suzuki service manual for 83 550 E/ES/L. And has another one for 550 78 thru 82.

Last edited by Redman; 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
        X