A123 battery pack (small battery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A123 battery pack (small battery)

Anyone looking for A123 battery packs can give this guy a try.
    I got mine from him the other day and it works like a charm. (81GS1100)
    Great service fast shipping (we are in the same state, Ohio) good communication.
    He didnt have the quick disconnect plugs like some others but he put standard battery ends on and he didnt have any shrink wrap big enough to fit over the batteries so I just gave it a nice wrap with some electrical tape.........but the price was right!!!!!!!
    If you do call tell him you got the info on a motorcycle forum from Matt.

PETER PETERSON
    320 NORTH MULBERRY STREET STE B
    MANSFIELD, OH 44902
    877-816-7728, 877-310-6710 FAX

Thanks for the link! I'm impressed with their prices on power tool battery chargers. Outa curiosity, are you using the A123 battery pack in place of your bike's conventional lead acid battery?
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
      Thanks for the link! I'm impressed with their prices on power tool battery chargers. Outa curiosity, are you using the A123 battery pack in place of your bike's conventional lead acid battery?
      Willie
      Yep. I will have to post up a pick tomorrow. I moved all my electronics under the seat all nice and tidy. With this battery not only does it weigh less than 2 lbs. ......well you can see how big it is.

Comment

I am guessing that this will only work for bikes older than 1980?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To the best of my knowledge you can run these in anything I have seen videos of them starting cars. The only real down fall I have read about with these is that 1 - they dont like real cold temps and 2 - they have less total cranking time then a lead acid battery. Meaning if you take off your plug wires and just crank until it dies.
          But if your bike runs properly they should last twice as long as a lead acid battery.

There is a ton of info about them on the web, thats what prompted me to get one, that and the fact that with the build I was doing I had no room for a standard size battery. I have it in my bike now and starts before I get my finger off the button.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
            To the best of my knowledge you can run these in anything I have seen videos of them starting cars. The only real down fall I have read about with these is that 1 - they dont like real cold temps and 2 - they have less total cranking time then a lead acid battery. Meaning if you take off your plug wires and just crank until it dies.
            But if your bike runs properly they should last twice as long as a lead acid battery.

There is a ton of info about them on the web, thats what prompted me to get one, that and the fact that with the build I was doing I had no room for a standard size battery. I have it in my bike now and starts before I get my finger off the button.

With these being so small you could est them in paralell and still have a riduculously small battery pack.

Comment

Honestly I think a 4 cell would have started my bike just fine, but went with the 8 cell as a just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                Honestly I think a 4 cell would have started my bike just fine, but went with the 8 cell as a just in case.

I meant two seperate packs isolated form one another. I do not know if they could be isolated from one another and simultaneously charged.

I think having what amounts to a second battery would save the pain of having a dead cell or what have you.

Comment

Wow that's impressive!

The 4x4 world has had dual battery chargers for many years that automatically switch the charging circuit between batteries depending on voltage, so Jeep's idea is definitely doable...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The cold starting problems won't work for me here.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      The cold starting problems won't work for me here.

Is it cold in Columbia?

Comment

It's cold at high elevations, in Columbia or anywhere else.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They will start in cold temps, you have to bump it once, twice, maybe a third time, once the chemical reaction takes place then the batteries warm up and then it will start. They dont loose charge in cold temps like lead acid. And you dont need any special charging system...mine is all stock.
                          They work basically the same as lead acid they just have some different characteristics.

I am not saying this battery is for everyone or the end all to batteries, just a good solid alternative to those either looking to save weight (less than 2 lbs) or for those looking to do the cafe style that dont want to see a obtrusive battery.

Comment

I guess I'm having a problem with mental vapor lock, so how would I use them in my 81 1100 ?
                            To replace the regular battery ?
                            One pack, two packs ?

Comment

Working...
                            X