So, I did the coil relay mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I did the coil relay mod...

I took the carbs off first and cleaned them up, put them back on, then went ahead and did the coil relay mod.

I got it all back together again, and started it up...

the #3 and #4 cylinder header pipe is not hot, and is not working.

Tomorrow I will find out if there is a spark and no fuel,,, or fuel and no spark.

Its an 85 550, so its got the two carbs, instead of four, and I am thinking something is amiss with the carb for #3-4, since that is the only thing they share.

I got 12.57 volts at coil..so the electrical problem is probably fixed (!!!!)

Carbs CLEAN?

Carb sync?

Mixture screws?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I was waiting to find out if I had fire on # 3 and #4 cylinders before I bothered with the carbs. I was wondering if I somehow messed up the wiring in some way.

Today, after work, i came home and pulled the bowl screw on the right carb (#3 and #4 cylinders) and it had gas coming out of it.

I checked for spark on #3 and #4 and they are both fine.

Now, I am thinking it is running lean....and this is possibly a problem simply because I have so much more spark, than before. I mean, wow, what a difference the coil relay mod makes.

I tell you, people say, "Oh it made a difference"...try it, you wont be sorry. The bike, even on 2 cylinders jumps alive when I push that button.

Anyway, I am thinking its lean. any suggestions?

I have to wait till this weekend to get it synched, the two carbs have never been separated and so its all one piece. Shouldnt be too hard.

Man, I miss riding, i ride that bike every day, and now its been a month almost.

Comment

Hi,

Did somebody say, "Clean the carbs."?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

Did somebody say, "Clean the carbs."?

BassCliff
          I did clean them, last week, and I have done it probably ten times. Know those carbs well, but i am thinking the spark is so much better than it has been that there is simply not enough fuel. Its a big difference for sure.
          Thanks for your help with that electrical issue.

Comment

Hi,

Where are the idle mixture screws set?

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

Where are the idle mixture screws set?

BassCliff
              thats what I aim to find out this weekend. My phone is ringing off the hook with service calls and I have just a little time in between inspections to work on the bike, so I am not rushing.

We will deal with the idle mixture screws this weekend. I am thinking thats going to be the fix.

Comment

Makes sure you have the spark plug wires on 1&4 and 2&3. That would cause those symptoms..

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                  Makes sure you have the spark plug wires on 1&4 and 2&3. That would cause those symptoms..
                  yeah i checked that, and it has happened before on another bike. Scared the lights out of me.

Comment

Today I was going to start the bike and see if bringing it up to 3,000 or so would at least heat the pipes for #3 and #4 cylinder.

It wouldnt start. Pulled tank off and checked the voltage to both coils, which was a hair under the battery voltage at 12.68. It should have started.

Backing up a bit, when I went to pull the tank off the bike, I have a Briggs and Stratton shut off valve that I have been using since the petcock isnt all that trustworthy. When i disconnected the carb side of the hose, the gas that came out was slightly orange,,or maybe a little darker yellow than what it should be.

I thought it was rust. I put a clear jug under the shut off and opened it up, it was much clearer than the stuff that came out the other side, but it seems to have some kind of sediment in it.

Backing up even further, after cleaning both carbs with compressed air, and getting it all spotless, installing them, doing the coil relay mod...

the first push of the button didnt get it started, but once fuel got to it a few seconds later, it started right up. I shut it off. Waited two or three seconds, then started it again, and the choke was still closed..

I revved it up and it seemed to be running better than ever. I ran it a minute or two without the choke, shut it down, then upon starting it again, it wouldnt run right.

Something got into the carbs, I am going to have to pull them again, and this time I will replace both needle/seat/o-ring sets, since I am going to go thru the procedure.

Will let you know how it goes.

I am upset.. to say the least.

Good thing is the electrical problem is fixed!!!

Now, I am doing carbs, which I am quite familiar with.

thanks for all of your help, Cliff, Jeep, Steve, all of you.

Comment

Ok, I think I am all done.When I did the coil relay mod, the bike jumped to life, after sitting for a few weeks. I wanted to make sure it would restart after sitting for a couple mins, and it started but then fell down to 1500 on full choke. I had 12.6 or 12.7 to coils so the coil relay mod fixed the electrical, but now i had a fuel problem.' I did clean the carbs after the coil relay mod, but when it would restart, i drained the tank into a clear plastic jug and I found some foreign substance in it, as well as a good bit of water..I cleaned carbs today, put them back on, flushed the tank and let it dry, then put it back on bike, with a new fuel filter.I tried to start the bike, but it was obviously not getting gas, and i could see the problem with the petcock after removing the fuel line.I have a briggs and stratton shut off valve on it. I got it feeding the carbs and it is running GREAT!!!What a nice bike..I tell ya, I have no plans of buying a new bike, but if they brought back the old GS line of bikes, I'd finance me a new 550, 1100, and and 1150.Thanks Cliff, Jeep, steve, all of you for your help. God bless all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by timbaux View Post
                        Ok, I think I am all done.When I did the coil relay mod, the bike jumped to life, after sitting for a few weeks. I wanted to make sure it would restart after sitting for a couple mins, and it started but then fell down to 1500 on full choke. I had 12.6 or 12.7 to coils so the coil relay mod fixed the electrical, but now i had a fuel problem.' I did clean the carbs after the coil relay mod, but when it would restart, i drained the tank into a clear plastic jug and I found some foreign substance in it, as well as a good bit of water..I cleaned carbs today, put them back on, flushed the tank and let it dry, then put it back on bike, with a new fuel filter.I tried to start the bike, but it was obviously not getting gas, and i could see the problem with the petcock after removing the fuel line.I have a briggs and stratton shut off valve on it. I got it feeding the carbs and it is running GREAT!!!What a nice bike..I tell ya, I have no plans of buying a new bike, but if they brought back the old GS line of bikes, I'd finance me a new 550, 1100, and and 1150.Thanks Cliff, Jeep, steve, all of you for your help. God bless all of you.
                        sorry my computer is in safe mode and it wont let me separate paragraphs. apologies.

Comment

When someone says they have cleaned their carbs 10 times that's a sign that the carbs were not cleaned properly. You need to take the carbs all the way apart, soak them in carb dip, verify the pilot jets are open by holding them up to a light, verify the choke passages are clear by spraying carb spray though them, reassembly the carbs with fresh o-rings from cycleorings.com, replace the intake boot O-rings (assuming your bike has them) and then make sure the carbs are properly sealed to the airbox. All these things must be done before the bike will run right.

Have you done all this? Please advise so we can know what to suggest. If you haven't cleaned the carbs properly and replaced the O-rings that is where I suggest you start.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            When someone says they have cleaned their carbs 10 times that's a sign that the carbs were not cleaned properly. You need to take the carbs all the way apart, soak them in carb dip, verify the pilot jets are open by holding them up to a light, verify the choke passages are clear by spraying carb spray though them, reassembly the carbs with fresh o-rings from cycleorings.com, replace the intake boot O-rings (assuming your bike has them) and then make sure the carbs are properly sealed to the airbox. All these things must be done before the bike will run right.

Have you done all this? Please advise so we can know what to suggest. If you haven't cleaned the carbs properly and replaced the O-rings that is where I suggest you start.
                            I have had the bike 15 years, have gone thru the carbs many times because we have a problem with water in the gas quite often. I changed the O-rings already last year and they are fine, the petcock was part of the problem. Its running great. I will take a longer ride tomorrow. thank you, and you have contributed a lot to this thread and it was beneficial. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X