Overcharging issue -recitifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    That was how I felt until just before Easter when my stator got toasted. I decided to transfer the whole set up my donor bike had (something aftermarket with an intergated R/R) across just to make sure I wasn't risking another stator. I have also added in a digital volt meter which now sits on top of the instruments and I monitor the battery/charging all the time. The new set up is much more stable than the old one was.
    Nostalgia is great, but pulling stators ain't

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Update:

A couple of notes:

1. My headlight switch actually works - easy to do on 78s
      2. I've done the stator output conversion so that the one leg does not run to the headlight switch and back - so all of the stator output goes to the rectifier and VR
      3. I went to HF and got another VOM, cause I just couldn't believe the readings I'm getting

So, I did the following tests:

1. Rectifier output is good and steady DCV
      2. Main power fuse is steady DCV
      3. The other 3 fuses test result is the jumping voltage
      4, Battery static -13.8V, running 14.8-15.4
      5. The headlight socket has jumping voltage on both high and low

So, based upon these results, the VR and the rectifier are good. There is a problem of some kind between the main fuse and the other fuses. There are two wires and the ignition switch between the main fuse and the other fuses.

I'lll be pulling the switch next

And yeah, the SFRC season opener is tomorrow at 9 AM. I've got to get the 78 up and running for it. The only other bike I have that runs is my GPZ, but that needs new tires due to age, so I definitely do not want to ride that ion the rain.
      That would be the red and orange wires. See the other thread (have no idea how to link to it). I have found the connector block from the ignition switch (in the headlight bucket) to be an issue. Both the red and the orange wire connector pins are too small for the current load they carry (IMO)
      Bill Alexander
      New Zealand
      78 GS1000 - Red
      02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
        That would be the red and orange wires. See the other thread (have no idea how to link to it). I have found the connector block from the ignition switch (in the headlight bucket) to be an issue. Both the red and the orange wire connector pins are too small for the current load they carry (IMO)
        My thoughts exactly - they both run to the switch. I ran out of time to deal with it tonight. I'm thinking they've melted together?

Here's what I'm getting at the headlight and elsewhere when running. Click to watch video

Last edited by Big T; 05-07-2011, 10:06 AM.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

No fuse block melting and arcing issues of the kind I had in Reno are there? Check the back of the box...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

[PHP]Yeah, because the original was so weak, it only lasted 33 years![/PHP] It hasn't been in constant service for 33 years and the design was real bad the day it was manufactured. You will benefit from a modern R/R, and it's not like it shows.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I made it 420 miles today with no problem

I'll update in a few days
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Where was the ride?

I got my car reassembled, but it still runs like crap. It steers more or less normally now at least though.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                X