Ignition Switch Stuck Solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Since you basically just drilled out the old roll pins, couldn't you just use a larger roll pin to replace the old ones?
    I could probably use the old roll pins, they just have a wider ID. I just don't like how hard they were to get out. In 30 years Ill want to open this again!

Where does one go to buy roll pins anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      I could probably use the old roll pins, they just have a wider ID. I just don't like how hard they were to get out. In 30 years Ill want to open this again!

Where does one go to buy roll pins anyways?
      We have a local place in SB called specialty tool that has nearly any think in the way of fasteners. I'll go by there today.

How big can you overdrill without damaging anything? Anything less than 1/4" OK?

It would also be nice if it was just drilled all the way through then you just use a punch to knock the pin through.

here is a reference

The following is dimensional and general data for spring pins recognized as American National Standard, which are widely used in general industrial applications per. ANSI/ASME B18.8.2.
      Last edited by posplayr; 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Can you leave enough pin sticking out of the housing to grab with pliers later? I'd be afraid of using screws, since they could well vibrate out. Then we're looking at thread lock in the vicinity of the lock mechanism.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi guys:

I just took mine apart. It was old and worn out so it was just a bit of fun taking it apart and nothing more.

The GS 550 type has a lock mechanism barrel that does not come apart.

After I got my roll pins gouged out I discovered this.

I wonder Adler, if you can steal the lock innerds form one for your helmet locks the replace anything worn ignition switch.

Anyways do not bother with the 550 from 85 or any of it's siblings as you cannot get the thing apart even after removing the lock form it's housing.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Hi guys:

I just took mine apart. It was old and worn out so it was just a bit of fun taking it apart and nothing more.

The GS 550 type has a lock mechanism barrel that does not come apart.

After I got my roll pins gouged out I discovered this.

I wonder Adler, if you can steal the lock innerds form one for your helmet locks the replace anything worn ignition switch.

Anyways do not bother with the 550 from 85 or any of it's siblings as you cannot get the thing apart even after removing the lock form it's housing.
            Did you see the rest of my posts? I got the core out and filed the tumblers to fit better. The lock is now less secure and working.

Comment

Did you see the rest of my posts? I got the core out and filed the tumblers to fit better. The lock is now less secure and working.

Oh yes I see that now. it realy blows that the only "improvement" they made in the design for the 2nd gen 550s was to make it impossible to repair via your method.

Comment

Alrighty, my switch has now been reassembled and is working better then it ever has! All operations are smooth.

Maybe I should start a different thread to chronicle the solution so it isn't buried in my "problem" thread?

Comment

Alrighty, my switch has now been reassembled and is working better then it ever has! All operations are smooth.

Maybe I should start a different thread to chronicle the solution so it isn't buried in my "problem" thread?
                  Please; we have been waiting a long time for this. It slipped my mind to pick up those roll pins on Friday. Did you get any?

Comment

I just put the old ones back in . They were pretty mangled but their job is a pretty easy one. When I get the time Ill throw together a guide. I'm not too good at remembering to take pictures though so what you see already is more or less what I have.

Comment

I wrote up a guide here...

Its not great, but its more than we had.

Comment

Working...
                      X