Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why it its important to resistance match coils

Dyna 2K & 2.2Ω coils in the mail.

The Dyna 2000 will work fine with the 3ohm coils... it says so in the instructions. The 2.2ohm ones just give it the most "bang".

That would appear to be a result of stress from the way it is bolted down coupled with vibration....
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      That would appear to be a result of stress from the way it is bolted down coupled with vibration....
      That's what i thought, but a continuous crack all the way around? And the two halves aren't wobbly or loose but very firmly anchored in place as though no flexing took place. The pri resistance is 0.01Ω and the secondary is 13.81KΩ according to my DVOM. I was just riding 2 days ago, and it drove fine into the garage. I always leave the key in the ign and this time i found it in the ON position...coincidentally i found the IGN fuse blown and this cracked coil. *grr* I think they're related.

...i blame the factory points, and my dumas.

Comment

That looks like a stress fracture and not a melt-down.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          That looks like a stress fracture and not a melt-down.
          I agree, but wouldn't the halves have some free-play, and the core be distorted? All the same, i need to figure out how it shook that bad so it doesn't happen again, and I didn't HEE-MAN tighten the retaining bolts. *sigh*

Dyna 2K and coils arriving in next hr.

Comment

Working...
          X