Stator Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Tests

Without wanting to start another argument....

Is there any other way to test a stator off the bike other than testing for a short between legs?

I have a spare (Kawasaki) stator that I intend to carry down into Baja with me just in case but I have no idea if it works or not...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Test leg to core. If open then stator is not shorted to ground.

Comment

Ok thanks. In my experience as long as I have 2 good legs the FET rr can keep up with the bike just.... So this would be in case of catastrophic failure.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Ok thanks. In my experience as long as I have 2 good legs the FET rr can keep up with the bike just.... So this would be in case of catastrophic failure.
        Why don't you find a nice guy with a megaohm meter (?) and really test the stator's insulation. I have 3 spare stators which all test out good with a simple multimeter, but who knows how they will work once forced to work in 200 degree enviroment.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Why don't you find a nice guy with a megaohm meter (?) and really test the stator's insulation. I have 3 spare stators which all test out good with a simple multimeter, but who knows how they will work once forced to work in 200 degree enviroment.
          If the insulation is browning I suspect it is over 400-450 degF (alot stator have a powder coated insulation that cures at 400 degF) .

That is why warming the stator with an engine doesn't really help. The stator self heats more than the engine will heat it. Now I'll stop there

Comment

This one looks like new so I'll do the simple tests and carry it if it passes. Thanks all
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
            X