coil relay mod? gs 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
    Well, I hadn't noticed if it clicked when I turned on the ignition but I did noticed it clicked when I was disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.

At first I thought it was something arcing from a bad connection so it freaked me out at first.
    Did you have the ignition on when you are connecting/disconnecting the battery? Otherwise it should not be clicking when you hook those up. It should click when you turn the ignition on and off.

Can you tell us what the numbers are on each of the relay connectors? We can then tell where each should go.

If it is a basic 4 wire relay:
    #30 should go directly to battery positive (preferably on battery terminal, with 10 or 15amp fuse inline)
    #85 should go to Ground (anywhere on frame)
    #86 should go to the orange/white wire that currently goes to the coils
    #87 should go to the coils where the orange/white goes into them.

With this wiring, you should have the same voltage at #30 that you do at the battery. When you turn on the key, that same voltage should be present on #87. At this point #86 should also be showing a voltage, maybe not as much, but should still be ~10V or higher depending on how good of shape the wiring is.

Comment

Originally posted by ferguson30 View Post
      Did you have the ignition on when you are connecting/disconnecting the battery? Otherwise it should not be clicking when you hook those up. It should click when you turn the ignition on and off.

Can you tell us what the numbers are on each of the relay connectors? We can then tell where each should go.

If it is a basic 4 wire relay:
      #30 should go directly to battery positive (preferably on battery terminal, with 10 or 15amp fuse inline)
      #85 should go to Ground (anywhere on frame)
      #86 should go to the orange/white wire that currently goes to the coils
      #87 should go to the coils where the orange/white goes into them.

With this wiring, you should have the same voltage at #30 that you do at the battery. When you turn on the key, that same voltage should be present on #87. At this point #86 should also be showing a voltage, maybe not as much, but should still be ~10V or higher depending on how good of shape the wiring is.

Well, the ignition was not on when I heard the clicking. I was just disconnecting the battery and heard it. I am pretty sure I double checked all the connections and connected them where they were supposed to go but I will check again this evening. Now, I did use a 30a inline fuse so would you suggest I put a 10 or 15a fuse in it's place on the inline holder?

Also, I connected the fuse line directly to the + connection on the fuse box for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
        Well, the ignition was not on when I heard the clicking. I was just disconnecting the battery and heard it. I am pretty sure I double checked all the connections and connected them where they were supposed to go but I will check again this evening. Now, I did use a 30a inline fuse so would you suggest I put a 10 or 15a fuse in it's place on the inline holder?

Also, I connected the fuse line directly to the + connection on the fuse box for now.
        Ideally you'd put in a 10a fuse in, I believe thats what I have in mine now with no problems. The 30a will work for testing purposes, but the fuse won't blow if something goes wrong as easy, which isn't good.

If it clicks with the ignition off, and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, I'd bet you have #30 and #86 swapped.

Comment

Oh, I'll make sure to check my connections and I'll pick up a 10a fuse to pop in.

Comment

the coil relay pdf I've seen seems to cover the bigger bikes. The wiring on the 450 is a bit more simple. On the 850 I used to have, there were about 5 or six different fuses, but on the 450, there's only one main fuse, that's it. I'd just like to set up my 12v accessory so that it turns off with the ignition, but I haven't had time to play with it. That may have to wait until the riding season is over.

Comment

Working...
            X