duaneage Honda R/R Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Yes, that is your sense wire. Some will suggest to attach it to your brake light. I'm finding it's better to take it to your fuse block or a relay that feeds your fuse block.
    My bike has only one fuse. Maybe I'll just plug it in there . Just kinda paranoid since my tail lights are LED's if that matters. Maybe my tail lights may go out and I don't know it? And since the fuse powers everything electrical to my bike, it's always hot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
      My bike has only one fuse. Maybe I'll just plug it in there . Just kinda paranoid since my tail lights are LED's if that matters. Maybe my tail lights may go out and I don't know it? And since the fuse powers everything electrical to my bike, it's always hot.

Thanks for the help guys!
      You want it plugged into a switched source, not something that is hot when the ignition is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
        You want it plugged into a switched source, not something that is hot when the ignition is off.
        Oh. My bad. Into the brake light it is then .

Comment

Oh. My bad. Into the brake light it is then .
          Just make sure it's the side that feeds the brake light switch, not the side from the switch to the brake light.

Comment

Just make sure it's the side that feeds the brake light switch, not the side from the switch to the brake light.
            OK... Where's that? I hope I don't screw this up...

Comment

OK... Where's that? I hope I don't screw this up...
              The brake light switch has a plug with two wires running into it. One side will be hot with the ignition switch on and the brake not depressed, the other won't. You need a voltage tester or some kind of continuity tester to see which wire is which. Even a 12 volt bulb with a socket and pigtail will tell you. If you can isolate the tail light wire use it.

Comment

The brake light switch has a plug with two wires running into it. One side will be hot with the ignition switch on and the brake not depressed, the other won't. You need a voltage tester or some kind of continuity tester to see which wire is which. Even a 12 volt bulb with a socket and pigtail will tell you. If you can isolate the tail light wire use it.
                OK! I will take a look tomorrow.

Comment

The R/R is all hooked up. Here's a video!
                  Here is my 1980 Suzuki GS450L.The weak point in our Suzuki GS motorcycles is the charging system. The R/R on my bike was not regulating so the voltage climbe...

I think my stator is undercharging... Opinions? At least the R/R is working great!

Comment

OHHH! Gotcha! The wire you're talking about is the white/green wire. So I plug one of the yellow wires from the R/R into that and the other two yellow wires from the R/R to the yellow wires from the stator. Am I right so far?
                    There are three wires coming from the stator, yellow, white/blue and green/white each one of these go directly into a yellow wire from the R/R.
                    There should not be two yellow wires from the stator unless a PO changed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                      There are three wires coming from the stator, yellow, white/blue and green/white each one of these go directly into a yellow wire from the R/R.
                      There should not be two yellow wires from the stator unless a PO changed something.
                      That was my mistake. I was looking at the wrong wires. It's exactly as you described so I got it figured out.

Now I'm thinking my stator is undercharging? Or not? Can you guys watch the above video and let me know what you think? Thanks!

Comment

Looks fine to me FC.

Comment

Here is my 1980 Suzuki GS450L.The weak point in our Suzuki GS motorcycles is the charging system. The R/R on my bike was not regulating so the voltage climbe...

I think my stator is undercharging... Opinions? At least the R/R is working great!
                          Sounds like the exact same problem. If you are getting 13.2V at idle I doubt it is a bad stator. Measure your voltage drops.

Comment

Hi,

I see two issues. Since you've just replaced the r/r unit, it seems your stator is not putting out. And because the output is less as you rev up, there is probably corrosion (between the output of the r/r and the positive battery terminal) that needs to be cleaned from the connections in your charging system.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Sounds like the exact same problem. If you are getting 13.2V at idle I doubt it is a bad stator. Measure your voltage drops.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...4&postcount=12
                              Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

I see two issues. Since you've just replaced the r/r unit, it seems your stator is not putting out. And because the output is less as you rev up, there is probably corrosion (between the output of the r/r and the positive battery terminal) that needs to be cleaned from the connections in your charging system.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              Whew! My stator is good. OK. I did replace the R/R connectors which were supplied with duaneage's R/R kit. I will check for any other dirty connectors and do more tests.

Comment

Whew! My stator is good. OK. I did replace the R/R connectors which were supplied with duaneage's R/R kit. I will check for any other dirty connectors and do more tests.
                                measure teh voltage drop fro mR/R(+) to battery (+) at 5000 RPM it can rise from maybe 0.1V up over 0.5V at 5K RPM. If it does you need to chase it down or wire the R/R directly to teh battery (using a 20 amp fuse)

Comment

Working...
                                X